News Feed Discussions New discomfort after 1 year

• New discomfort after 1 year

Posted by Havoc2000 on December 31, 2020 at 8:54 am

Hello all – Hoping for some insight here. Nov 12th 2019 I had bilateral inguinal hernia surgery with mesh. My left side could not be seen on MRI, but Dr. saw and repaired while inside fixing the right side, which had protruded outside of abdomen. I healed up quite well, and was walking in Walmart a few hours after surgery. A year later, I am now feeling discomfort on right side, around patch area, as well as right testicle\scrotum. There is no bulging, or any signs of the actual hernia protruding again. I know I overdid myself a month or so ago, carrying a very heavy water softener up cellar stairs with no help(stupid move). Seems about the time I have started to feel the discomfort. I am wondering if maybe the actual mesh is just fine, and I may have overdone it, and tore, or stretched the scar tissue? Also, I have an inversion table due to old broken back, and when I got it, I noticed a tug around mesh when inverted. No pain, just a slight pull from being upside down. Since I have no signs of anything protruding, as I did before surgery, I am wondering if I just pulled at the edges of scar tissue, and the healing\pain is just radiating into my right side groin area. Not sure if that’s even possible, but due to Covid, no Dr. is going to talk to me about it with no visible issues. It’s not an emergency at this point, just uncomfortable. Even sitting sometimes, and sex is a bit scary, since I am afraid of what I may have done. Again, hoping its just scar tissue that now needs to re-establish itself, NO visual signs of original hernia. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, so I’m hoping I’m not the first to feel this. Thoughts please?

Havoc2000 replied 2 years, 12 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Havoc2000

March 16, 2021 at 8:33 am

Thanks for the input all! My legs are slightly better after all this time. Sometimes when I sit just right, I have a heavy, dull ache in my testicles, and bot left and right side. I finally went to an orthopedic sports doctor a week ago. He is having an MRI done again of my lower spine, since last one was in 2018. He issue its my spine radiating the pain. I doubted him, but looking back, it is plausible. I have a very bad lower back. Osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease, lumbar disc disease, etc. So my new MRI is this weekend. I then see a pain management division of hospital appt 4 days later to discuss and review MRI. Hopefully my spine is not junk or needing surgery at 51 years old. I still feel like a gutted fish at times, but can live with a certain amount of pain. Time has helped a lot of my issues, but if my spine got tweaked, when it was already junk when I wrestled the heavy water softener upstairs, I may have done something bad…. Thank you so much for replies, and please keep them coming so I know you all got my reply.

• mitchtom6

March 16, 2021 at 6:54 am

I have experienced those sort of symptoms off/on for years. All of your thoughts about the scar tissue being tugged/pulled sound plausible. Time may resolve your issue, as it has largely done for me. At one point, I did require a cortisone shot to alleviate localized pain in the area, which worked very well for me. Keep that in your back pocket in case things get worse, but I think that the passage of time will likely resolve the issues you are experiencing. All the best to you.

• DrBrown

March 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm

@havoc2000
    There is an excellent chance that you will improve with time.
    Rest. Advil. Local heat.
    If you do not improve, then see your surgeon after the virus settles down.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• cnnfoxmsnbc

March 4, 2021 at 2:59 pm

Hi Havoc2000,

Hope you are feeling better. I am experiencing the exact same symptoms as you. Mine started last week during weight training at home. I had my right side hernia repaired (mesh) in 2017 and, now this slight pain/uncomfortable feeling after 3 years.
    Have your symptoms improved? Did you visit the doctor?

Thanks