News Feed Discussions No mesh Hernia surgery – experience

• No mesh Hernia surgery – experience

Posted by Koreaherniaman on November 13, 2017 at 4:04 am

On Sept 29, I had a small-medium sized inguinal surgery repaired using the no-mesh technique. The surgery was performed by Dr. Kang in Seoul, Korea at Gipum Hospital.

I had gone for a pre-checkup a few weeks prior and the tests included an ultrasound and blood tests and consultation with the doctor. Total time was about 1.5 hours. Service was very professional and efficient.

On the day of the surgery, I arrived several hours before hand for a few more tests. I went after work on a Friday, and my surgery was one of the last for the day.

After being given some medication to help relax I entered the operating room. I was prepped for surgery and was given local anaesthetic. I was a bit nervous as I had never had surgery this way, but I felt zero pain during the procedure. Total procedure time took 15 mins and I was able to walk to the recovery room on my own.

I stayed in the recovery room for 2.5 hours and took a taxi home. You can leave by yourself if you want, but I had my girlfriend help me.

I timed my surgery before a week off for the Chuseok holiday so I didn’t have to go back to work for 10 days.

Day1: went home and straight to bed

Day2: I was very sore for Day 2, but still able to move around the house and eat normally. Usually just had difficulties getting up from a laying down position.

Day 3: I went outside and walked my dog about 100 m and also later went out to grab a pizza. Still sore. Changed my bandage and saw the incision for the first time – about 4 cm long, and just glued shut no stitches.

Day 11: back to work (teacher), felt a bit sore but made it through without pain.

Day 20: started to feel normal for day to day activies, but still no exercise.

Day 30: went for a light jog, felt stiff and scar tissue was sore but no pain.

Now I’m at 6 weeks post surgery and I’m back to normal schedule of activities but still taking it easy in terms of overall intensity. This week I swam 2 times, rode my bike twice (10km), ran 5 km, and yoga/stretching throughout the week. I have no pain except minor soreness when I rub the scar tissue. This is not enough to even classify as irritation.

Overall I couldn’t recommend this type of surgery enough. Total price was about 550,000 ₩ (500 USD) and Dr. Kang’s team was very professional. English guidance was provided as well, by a man named Stephen. Let me know if you have any questions.

Stephen replied 6 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Stephen

November 29, 2017 at 10:45 pm

I’m the chaplain and English language interpreter of Gipum Hospital in Seoul Korea. You may say, “It’s too good to be true,” but it is true. The above Koreaherniaman, whom I took care of from the first call to discharge, is an American English teacher who is invited by the Korean Gov’t for English education for Korean students. Therefore he is on National Health Insurance for which his school boss pays the insurance premium. Go to the following site: http://global.gipumhospital.com/engl…ia-center.html You’ll see the detail of the hernia repair by Dr. Kang and the cost. Let me tell you, if you are on Korean National Health Insurance, for hernia reapir for one side the total medical cost you pay from 410,000won – 820,000won, as of Nov 2016, now slightly more than that, equivalent to 370usd – 740usd, for both sides from 600,000won – 1,140,000won (540usd – 1,000usd). But if you do not have the insurance you pay 2,700usd through 3,600usd, still amazingly low, compared to the cost in USA or any other country.

Well, sooner or later, Dr. Kang will write a paper about his surgery method and possibly post videos

• Chaunce1234

November 27, 2017 at 1:35 am

Was your hernia symptomatic or painful prior to surgery? And if so, is that pain or discomfort relieved since?

It sounds like you had a great experience as far as surgeries go, so congratulations to you and I wish you the best. I have been interested in the comments left by Dr Kang as he seems to be an innovator, and it’s always helpful to hear from patient success stories. I wonder if the procedure Dr Kang offers is unique then perhaps he could publish a paper on the specifics or post videos to YouTube of the full procedure for other surgeons to learn from, just a thought. Innovation that improves patient outcome is always a good thing.

As an American, it is inconceivable to imagine a hernia surgery or even a simple medical procedure for $500 given our current state of affairs with costs running wild. $5,000 and up is often the cost of an insurance deductible alone over here!

Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress.