News Feed Discussions No one can find my hernia or cause for pain. I need help!

  • No one can find my hernia or cause for pain. I need help!

    Posted by ShiloCR on April 7, 2018 at 2:25 pm

    Hello I am a 28 year old female and I have been experiencing what I believe to be hernia pain since my childhood. I have pain in my right lower groin area right above the pubic bone that can be sharp and feels like it radiates to my lower back and my right buttocks. It gets worse with physical activity and sometimes with prolonged sitting, it also just happen randomly. It also feels like I can push on it and it feels like a hole is there, it’s hard to explain the sensation. I have also seen a small bulge on that side before but it goes away pretty quickly. I have had a CT scan a couple of years ago which said I just had an ovarian cyst on my right side that was small and would just flake off later and I have had an ultrasound of the spot last Tuesday in which they said was normal. I also saw a UroGyno last Friday in which he tried to feel for it and look at my scans I had on discs and he couldn’t find it and believes it’s a pelvic floor dysfunction in which I am skeptical about since the symptoms dont all match up to me. I do not know what to do at this point, I have had 3 or more doctors look at my scans and no one can find it. I live in Oklahoma City and have no idea who to see or what to do next, if anyone can help I would appreciate it. This is a very upsetting and stressful situation for me.

    Thank you.

    miner replied 5 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • miner

    April 8, 2018 at 12:54 pm

    I had a ultrasound standing bearing down. I ended up calling several ultrasound places that mostly did ultrasounds for viewing newborns for “viewing parties” I didnt have any kind of referral or anything. They were more then willing to do it. It was around $200 dollars. My family doctor acted ignorant when I asked for it and said I needed to go to a specialist.

    Did you ever discuss the possibility of having some type of disc problem in your lower back that would cause some of the symptoms you describe. Not the bulge you have seen though.

  • ShiloCR

    April 8, 2018 at 2:01 am

    I noticed the pain years ago, early childhood. Pretty sure I got it from lifting something heavy as a kid. I am not very athletic but have been more in the past. The pain comes and goes randomly and seems to be irritated by activity sometimes.
    I did not have that kind of Ultrasound. It seemed like a standard one where they just had me lay down while they used the lubricant stuff on the instruments and took images. I dont think they took moving images. Plus I dont know if I can ask for that kind of ultrasound or if they will just look at me like I am crazy.

    I hope that I can find someone locally that can help me figure this out, I would rather not travel out of state if I dont have to. Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate any help.

  • Chaunce1234

    April 7, 2018 at 9:27 pm

    I am sorry you’re going through this.

    When did you first notice the pain? Was the onset related to any particular activity? Is the pain constant or does it come and go? Are you athletic? Does anything relieve the pain or make it go away?

    Was your recent Ultrasound done in the inguinal and femoral region, with Valsava? Was it performed by a tech or by a radiologist? For best ultrasound results you’ll usually want a dynamic ultrasound with valsava, dynamic means they’re recording motion so when you bare down, any tissue movement is captured on the film. Fortunately Ultrasound is relatively cheap so insurance usually never fights it.

    Hernia, athletic pubalgia, inguinal disruption, osteitis pubis, endometriosis (for women), and myriad other causes of groin and pelvic pain are often routinely overlooked or not seen on CT and MRI scans, though viewed by true experts they can sometimes find things that a standard radiologist may ignore or not notice.

    I am not sure of any groin pain experts in Oklahoma or particularly close to you, though searching on the American Hernia Society website may reveal some choices for those with an interest in hernias specifically. Vaguely in your region of the country, you may try reaching out to the following hernia experts:

    – Dr Paul P Szotek in Indiana

    – Dr David Grishkan in Ohio

    – Dr Bruce Ramshaw in Tennessee

    Good luck, and keep us updated on your case and progress.

Log in to reply.