News Feed Discussions Occult hernia woman

• Occult hernia woman

Posted by cheree19 on August 25, 2016 at 3:13 am

hi there
    I am from New Zealand, and for the past 4 months have been in terrible pain. I will give you a bit of background info…. I had a resection rectopexy in March this year and then was returned to theatre nine days later to have the stitches and tacks removed from my rectum as it was suggested that due to the symptoms I was experiencing that the placement of the stitches / tacks caused nerve impingement problems and once they were removed I gained function of my bladder and bowel.

Anyway because the stitches and tacks were removed a proctogram was organised by the surgeon (done six weeks or so after surgery) to see the rectum was holding up without that support, however it was during that test with all the straining/pushing down that I noticed the next day I had a heaviness, dragging sensation in my groin / pelvis area with dull burning pain in the right groin. When i went back to the surgeon I told him about this because I was finding it hard to walk, stand for too long, a sensation of wanting to hold my intestines up (weird I know), like a pulling down sensation. I got so bad that he decided to do an exploratory surgery and all he found was my small bowel down in my pelvis, so he placed some omentum down there (without stitches) but didn’t notice any change in symptoms at all.

An small bowel MRI was done and it was found that the small bowel had again prolapsed down thru the pelvic inlet so I had surgery to close the pelvic inlet with my native tissue. However, i still have all the same symptoms of dragging sensation, gurgling bowel noises in my groin, groin pain / burning, pain in the thights and lower back, right sided vagina pain, the pain is somewhat relieved by lying down but gets worse on movement, bending over, walking, lifting anything, coughing, bearing down when doing to the toilet. So its obvious that after all the small bowel wasn’t causing these symptoms. Also it unlikely that adhesions are causing this because according to the surgeon and surgical photos he said I saw miminal adhesions. Also, it seems that he saw no other problems with the female organs?

I had a ultrasound done where the doctor was checking for a hernia and got me to stand bear down etc, but nothing was found. I would be really interested to see if any doctors think this is likely to be a hernia even with normal ultrasound results.

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

September 13, 2016 at 4:46 am

Occult hernia woman

It’s possible that the underlying pathology that led you to need a rectopexy also caused a hernia, that is, straining to have a Bowel movement. In other words, it was t from the MRI or proctogram.

Yes, hernia can be missed on ultrasound. Should be there on your small bowel MRI, though. And yes, your symptoms can be due to inguinal hernia.