News Feed Discussions Old Surgeons

• Katherine

February 20, 2019 at 3:22 pm

I am so grateful for older surgeons and older physicians in other specialties, too. I honestly believe so many still practice because they thoroughly enjoy what they are doing and have great love for their patients. It is not easy being a physician in today’s climate of practicing medicine with insurance companies and government policies attempting to influence the care a doctor gives to their patients. I also believe that older surgeons have the blessed knowledge of combining older tried and true methods with modern advances – best of both worlds. Thank you so much, Dr. Brown for joining this invaluable forum and being one of the greatest hernia surgeons in the world!

• alliej

February 20, 2019 at 5:47 am

Agreed with above post!!! Dr Brown u are a VIP 🙂 to us, readers and patients, just on here, regardless of what u do as a dr in professional practice. It stinks that our society doesn’t openly value older age…but we all age, so what can ya do.

• Brady

February 5, 2019 at 2:56 am

Older surgeons have more experience so I do not see any negative. Same applies to many other industiries too.

Dr Brown I hope you have no plan to retire because you are a valuable asset to the medical community. Take plenty of vacation time for yourself, but please don’t retire any time soon, ha ha! Sorry to sound selfish but I said the same thing to my primary care when they told me they were retiring a few years ago, ha ha.

And as for all of us as we age as long as we stay inquisitive, keep learning, stay healthy as we can then age is nothing but a number.

• Casey F

February 4, 2019 at 6:18 pm

Dr Brown,
    Thank you for joining the forum!
    The reseach you shared was both informative and interesting. The New York Times recently published an article on older surgeons and this research would have been a good addition to the article.