News Feed Discussions open non mesh procedure for left and right inguinal hernias?

• open non mesh procedure for left and right inguinal hernias?

Posted by Alephy on January 16, 2020 at 6:21 am

I have been told that I might have a problem also on the left side (although no hernia yet)…apparently in laparoscopy one can treat both hernias…what about the open procedure? can one get both sides at the same time?

Is it a possibility to have non mesh/suture only/laparoscopy?
    Again, I don’t care about possible recurrences (even if those would imply a mesh in the end, as at least I tried my luck with safety first)…

Alephy replied 4 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Alephy

January 16, 2020 at 7:25 am

Yes, I can understand somebody might be tempted by the use of a mesh….problem is, it will remain forever a potential health problem….the more so given we live longer and longer (I don’t understand the attitude of using a mesh in an older person, as he or she might live another 20/30 years)…and in my case the Urticaria problem is a definite no (when that kicked in it was NOT fun:( )

• Casimir

January 16, 2020 at 7:14 am

@alephy I can share what Dr Grischkan who does non-mesh told me, which is that he won’t do that because he said they will pull each other apart. He said at minimum need to wait 6 weeks.

I’ll tell you what though… I would likely have been much better off with the laparoscopic / mesh. Open carries it’s own risks that are considerable. I think Dr Towfigh said mesh and no mesh are statistically the same re chronic pain. Sounds like the doctor is the most important variant.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Casimir.