News Feed Discussions Open surgery with local anesthesia

• Open surgery with local anesthesia

Posted by Dave Graham on August 18, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Hey gang: I am planning on open IH surgery soon, and I’ve discussed anesthesia with the surgeon. For lap. of course, you have to have general. Since mine will be open, I am going with local anesthesia. I’ve noticed there seems to be a trend for local , instead of general, for open procedures. Easier to recover from, for one thing.Those who have had local , what was the experience like for you? A friend of mind (female) had pretty complex knee surgery done (took an hour plus) and she had local without even sedation-she wanted to be alert while it was going on. Since then I’ve noticed quite a few articles in the Med. reviews about surgery being done with local anesthesia only-no sedation. Anybody done that with open IH surgery? I hate the thought of being sedated too-I also prefer being alert, but that’s something I’ll have to think about. Any experiences you have had, I’d like to hear about them. Thanks!

Dave Graham replied 5 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Dave Graham

August 20, 2018 at 10:33 pm

Chaunce: Thank you very much for this-this is the kind of info i need.

• Chaunce1234

August 20, 2018 at 5:34 pm

The Shouldice Clinic in Toronto Canada does almost all of their hernia surgeries open with local anesthesia and mild sedation. I believe the Desarda repair often does the same. I think this is because they want to visually test the repair by making the patient cough before completing the procedure.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about sedation and not being alert, you could always request a lower dose or lower intensity. From reports of people who went to Shouldice, most say they get a pill that makes them either relaxed or sleepy, but still aware and coherent.

Another group you might consider talking to about the general experience, obviously not hernias, are women who gave birth with a c-section, since that is usually done with a local anesthetic / block so the mother is awake for the childs birth.

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated on your case and decision making.