News Feed Discussions Pain after inguinal hernia repair using PHS.

• Pain after inguinal hernia repair using PHS.

Posted by fromindia25 on April 11, 2016 at 7:21 am

I am 25 year old from New Delhi India. I had my right inguinal hernia repair(29 Dec 2015) with PHSe system (open repair). i was having sharp pain in groin 2 inches above my incision to right side (lateral abdomen) so for one month i rested my self, than i resumed my normal life activity, thought it will subside on its own. But now i am also having burning sensation in my thigh, sometimes sensation in my scortum(bearable).
    I am 3 months postop. could anybody suggest me what it could be. I feel no pain when i lay down. Any suggestion or surgeon here from New Delhi. I know i cant get 100% but just want to improve so that i can support my family and don’t loose my job.

InPain replied 7 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • drtowfigh

July 6, 2016 at 2:54 am

Pain after inguinal hernia repair using PHS.

No. Hernia pain is never below the knee.
    No. Sciatic nerve cannot be injured by any groin surgery. Femoral nerve may be, but that would be very rare.

• InPain

June 30, 2016 at 9:45 am

Question from “fromindia25” to the surgeons, he forgot his password.

“Can inguinal hernia surgery with dual layer mesh if it folded, cause pain in feet or leg below the knee ? Can the femoral or sciatic nerve be injured by open repair with prolene hernia system?”

• InPain

May 14, 2016 at 1:36 pm

If you are still struggling to find an surgeon in India who can remove your mesh, maybe you should consider travelling to Europe? Cheap tickets between Delhi and London. I talked to a woman who got her mesh removed by Peter Jones at the South East England Hernia Clinic, and she was pain free and doing great. He also repair the hernia with the shouldice method, and never use mesh. You also have some very experienced mesh removal surgeons in Germany.

• fromindia25

May 14, 2016 at 7:00 am

Thank you so much.. For valuable response …. I really appreciate that….

• drtowfigh

May 14, 2016 at 6:33 am

1. CT scan does not degrade polypropylene.
    2. Removal of the mesh and possible genitofemoral and/or ilioinguinal neurectomy may be necessary. In my practice, I start with a nerve block to determine how much of the psi is attributable to nerve impingement or entrapment.
    3. Hernia repair should be a secondary issue. It depends on your findings and exam and the operation whether you should have another mesh repair or tissue repair.

• fromindia25

May 13, 2016 at 9:06 am

I want to know one thing..if one consider Mesh Removal like of Prolene Hernia System…I want to know how will it be removed considering it is dual layer…and after removal is it possible to repair without mesh. I am 4 month post op and my pain not getting better…Although after taking tramdol i feel good for about 7 to 8 hrs. but i dont think it is a permanent treatment.

Dr Shirin Can you suggest something

• fromindia25

April 18, 2016 at 6:27 am

Thank you so much. Would you like to elaborate what kind of complication your friend is having? because i ambe suffering from nerve pain after repair. Was it same for your friend?

• fromindia25

April 16, 2016 at 2:34 am

Thank you again for your response. I had an ultrasound which showed nothing. But now will go to have an MRI. I will avoid having Ct scan because gamma ray degrade prolene much more rapidly.?? Is that true. I have not had any reply from dr shah yet.

• drtowfigh

April 15, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Yes. Pretty much all imaging modalities may show it. MRI is most accurate

• fromindia25

April 15, 2016 at 7:10 am

Thank you so much for your response. You are replying to post from your busy schedule thats great help. Just one question is their anyway by which meshoma can be detected.. i mean without any surgical procedure. I have read lots of stories OF prolene hernia system where it form meshoma. Any imaging diagnosis.

• drtowfigh

April 14, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Dr Shah has offered to help you. Call his office and make an appointment. You will have to ask Dr Shah about his expertise once you meet him, he examines you, and he helps determine the cause of your pain.

Good luck.

• fromindia25

April 14, 2016 at 5:33 am

Hi Dr Shirin Towfigh. I have tried to reach Dr Sumit Shah to his email id but its been two days and i yet have any kind of response. I know i am asking lot questions but did Dr shah have handled mesh complication before and if he did, what is the success rate. Please reply as i am going crazy with this pulling like feeling in my hip bone area and also this burning.

• fromindia25

April 12, 2016 at 11:05 am

Doctor shirin, i am not questioning the doctor expertise but just want to know, have Dr sumit shah and Dr Khatar dealt with any prior case s of complication like mine. I am scared how my first surgery went. thats why i am asking these questions. . And thank you for what you are doing for me.

• fromindia25

April 12, 2016 at 5:59 am

Thank you so much. Hope this is first step towards a better life. Wish i could get little improvement or cure. As of now i am breaking on physical as well as on emotional level.

• drtowfigh

April 11, 2016 at 8:24 pm

I reached out to your surgeons In India and they have graciously provided their contact information:

From Dr Sumeet Shah:

He can mail me at [email protected] and I will set up an appointment.

From Dr Rakesh Mattar:

Glad to help him. if it is convenient for him.I can be contacted at [email protected] or my mobile 9811073612

• fromindia25

April 11, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Thank you so much Dr, that is great help. i will try to fix appointment with Dr sumit shah. Does he remove meshes for pain. Have he done it before.

• drtowfigh

April 11, 2016 at 2:04 pm

We have had multiple requests from patients in India

There are a lot of great surgeons in India for hernia problems. And those listed below have accepted to see complex patients

Try:
    Rajesh Mohan Khattar
    Sumeet Shah

Also, Prolene Hernia Sustem sometimes causes pain because it balls up, also known as meshoma. Removal is the only cure.

• fromindia25

April 11, 2016 at 1:39 pm

I dont understand, USA have most exp. surgeon for treating post hernia repair pain like DR. Shirin, Dr david Chen . You people are lucky. For now i am unable to locate a surgeon who would even listen to me. I am 25, at this age my friends are going after there carrier, and here i am waking every morning with this pain. Wish there is procedure that can help me a bit with this pain.So that i can focus on my carrier.

• LoriCx3

April 11, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Wouldn’t be able to give you an answer to that comment. I have been living in constant pain for five years ever since I had a bilateral inguinal hernia repair with mesh put in. I finally found someone who is willing to remove the mesh-however, there is no guarantee that it’s going to help. I was advised that it could in fact, make me worse and cause more debilitating pain or other potential problems than what I’ve been experiencing for the past five years as it is. I have been unable to work, have any kind of a social life, etc. due to the constant pain. I suggest seeking information from the hernia society to find somebody who may be able to help you get to the root of the problem. Prayers…

• fromindia25

April 11, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Ok so it means i am due for lifetime pain and i dont see any help like in your case , pain worse after neurectomy.

Page 1 of 2