News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Pain and swelling 7 weeks after ventral hernia surgery

• Pain and swelling 7 weeks after ventral hernia surgery

Posted by garvacious on May 9, 2024 at 8:55 pm

I had robotic surgery with mesh for a small ventral (incisional) hernia 7 weeks ago, and still have lots of pain directly over the mesh area. My abdomen specifically in that area is usually rock hard as well. It just feels like the whole area is really inflamed. Occasionally I feel a bit nauseous right in that area but no other “bowel” issues and it’s not correlating with eating. The overall feeling is that my body is really unhappy about the mesh. I can generally live life ( go to work, drive, sit,etc) but I cant really do any activity other than that without the pain flaring up. The sad thing is until about 10 days ago I was really starting to almost feel normal again. This feels like some kind of delayed inflammatory reaction. Any advice? There don’t seem to be a lot of posts by ventral hernia patients…just inguinal.

drtowfigh replied 3 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

May 12, 2024 at 6:16 pm

Good to see your surgeon about this. Imaging may help. You may have a seroma or hematoma. Massaging the area may also help. In some situations, the new symptoms are a result of the mesh shrinkage taking into effect.