News Feed Discussions Pain before bowel movement

• Pain before bowel movement

Posted by Firespooks on July 18, 2017 at 12:24 am

I am having my inguinal hernia repaired in a few weeks. The last couple of months I’ve been having about 5 bowel movements a day.. I have pain where my hernia is located before the BM . After BM pain is gone. I usually didn’t have this many movements a day before my hernia. Anyone ever hear of this before. Also this is a recurrent hernia. Last one was repaired 2 1/2 years ago. Thank you. Steve.

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • drtowfigh

August 6, 2017 at 8:27 pm

I see this most often for inguinal hernias. The way I explain it is: the stool is taking up space and thus pressure in the pelvis. This increases pain in the groin hernia, as abdominal pressure is increased. Once it is expelled, the area has lower pressure, and hernia-related pain is gone.

• idoncov

July 21, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Yes, I had pain below the area of hernia repair before bowel movements. I didn’t know I had a hernia at the time. That particular pain went away after the inguinal hernia repair. It’s strange because none of the doctors could tell me what was causing the pain or whether the surgery would address that.