News Feed Discussions Pain in Right Groin Abdominal Area – what are questions to ask?

• Pain in Right Groin Abdominal Area – what are questions to ask?

Posted by MAGHATH on April 17, 2017 at 2:38 pm

I am so excited to find this forum. I had Colectomy surgery in May 2016 because I have a redundant colon. My Cecum was down in my left pelvis. The Cecum had actually rotated to my left side. It was causing all kinds of pain issues. So my cecum and appendix were removed and the ascending colon attached to my small intestine during laparoscopic surgery. I really have not had any problems until about 2 months ago I started having pain in my right groin area. I tried to put on stockings/tights and when I lifted my right leg, it hurt in the groin area. The pain has continued since then. The pain is sort of sharp when I am sitting. I have trouble lifting my right leg. It often hurts when I get out of the car or get out of bed. Sometimes the pain goes into my right leg – in the thigh area. I have tried taken ibuprofen but it does not really help.

I went to my surgeon last week. She does not think it is scar tissue or a hernia but she said all hernias cannot be felt. She also said it could be a pulled muscle. I did not say anything but thought to myself that I have never had a pulled muscle that felt like this. She has ordered a CT Scan which I will have this coming Wednesday. She wants to have surgery as a last resort. On Friday night, I hurt so much that I took some Tramadol that I had left over from last year. It helped some – but not a lot and just helped me sleep. On Saturday during the day I tried ibuprofen again – but really did not help.

My question is how do I ask the right questions or really explain my symptoms. Even as I sit here right now I have this discomfort/sharp feeling in my right groin.

If the CT Scan does not show anything, what is my next step? This really does not feel like a pulled muscle. I live in Central Virginia.

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • drtowfigh

May 27, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Many of your symptoms are suggestive of inguinal hernia, including pinching feeling while sitting, needing to roll on your side when getting out of bed, sitting up or getting out of bed.

Try Dr Sharon Bachman in Virginia.

• MAGHATH

May 4, 2017 at 4:36 pm

I had my CT Scan, it showed nothing. Except that I had a lot of stool in my colon. The doctor told me to take Miralax. I started taking 1 dose a day and nothing happened so I took a dose in the am and 1 in the pm but still nothing much was happening. This went on for 5 days. I then took a 1/2 dose of Milk of Magnesia last Wed night (4/26/17). I had some bowel movements on Thursday. I took another 1/2 dose on Thursday night and started having diarrhea the next day and stopped taking it. I had the diarrhea through Sunday My pain has not gone away. When I am sitting I am almost feeling a pinched nerve in my right upper leg on the front about half way down. I find that laying down or standing up seems to help. It still bothers me when I bend over or try to lift my right leg. Last night when I got out of bed, it hurt trying to sit up and get up. I find that I need to roll on my side and push myself up with my hands. They said they see no sign of hernias. Could it still be a hernia or could it be surgical adhesions? I called the doctors office on Tuesday but have not had a call back. Does anyone know of a surgeon in Virginia that works with this? I get the impression that no one really sees a problem. The CT scan is fine so there is no issue. I have thought about going to my OB/GYN and see if he will hear me. I do not know what experience he has with Inguinal Hernia. What do I do?

• drtowfigh

April 20, 2017 at 4:49 am

Ice works best for hernia related pain.

• drtowfigh

April 20, 2017 at 4:44 am

Excellent post.

Yes, your symptoms are very consistent with either an inguinal hernia, or, less likely, a hernia at one of your surgical scars if you have on in that region.

CT scan may show the hernia. Your surgeon is correct that not all hernias can be felt.

If a CT scan does not show a hernia, I would still follow up with an MRI with valsalva as most CTs will not show really small hernias.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes with the CT