News Feed Discussions Painful ejaculate post open hernia repair

• Painful ejaculate post open hernia repair

Posted by mark sebshe on September 2, 2015 at 4:48 am

Four days ago I underwent open surgery to repair inguinal hernia on left side. Mesh was used. I tolerated the procedure well. My scrotum sack was and remained enlarged, I’d say about 40%. Because of the pain I didn’t feel like masturbating for the first couple days. On day three I did. I had no significant trouble obtaining an erection, but couldn’t have an orgasm. I felt an orgasm but at the same time I felt a sharp pain shooting from near the incision site to the lower shaft of my penis and into my left testicle.

Last night I felt the pain again during orgasm. Semen was released many seconds before the orgasm. They were not simultaneous as has been my experience. More troubling was that the pain lasted through the orgasm, again sharp and shooting from near the incision to the left testicle and into the penis. It was not at all pleasurable. I have a girlfriend and we are sexually active.

What is going on? Is this normal? Will it subside? Is it dangerous to keep trying? If so, how will I know when to try again?

Thanks

drtowfigh replied 8 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Chaunce1234

September 2, 2015 at 11:06 am

Painful ejaculate post open hernia repair

Give it a rest for a week or two. It should get better on it’s own. There’s a lot going on down there and needs some time for the swelling and inflammation to go down. Be sure to mention this to your surgeon when you go for your follow-up. Hope this helps!

• drtowfigh

September 2, 2015 at 5:15 am

Painful ejaculate post open hernia repair

Your surgery involves mesh placement and suturing onto the pelvis muscles. Strong contractions of any kind early after surgery, such as with orgasm or certain exercises, may cause pain and even stress the repair in rare cases. Also, the mesh is typically adjacent to or wrapped around the spermatic cord, which includes the vas deferens, which carries sperm from the testicle to the prostate. There are nerves along this. Any extra tension or pressure in this area, which includes orgasm, may be perceived as painful because the area of the cord is already swollen from the recent repair, as evidenced by the swollen scrotum.
    Perhaps reduce any stressors on the repair until the area is less swollen, which can be gauged by the scrital and incisional swelling.