News Feed Discussions Passing Gas and Hernia’s

• Passing Gas and Hernia’s

Posted by Stressed on November 30, 2017 at 10:32 am

Hi Y’all,

I just have a question. If you have any sort of hernia, if you strain even just a little to let out some gas, it is detrimental to your hernia? You are only squeezing it out for a few seconds max.

I have a problem where my gas gets built up and i try to hold it in because I don’t want to squeeze and apply unnecessary pressure on any possible hernia but sometimes you must squeeze it out. Is it dangerous? It’s very uncomfortable to hold your gases in for long periods of time. Some farts come out easily and some take some pushing.

This is a gross and embarrassing question but someone with hernia experience can chime in,.

Thank you.

LeviProcter replied 6 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • LeviProcter

December 9, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Pass gas.

Holding will just increase abdominal pressure and make your hernia symptoms worse.

• idoncov

December 1, 2017 at 3:58 am

Passing gas is like pooping. It’s not how long it takes, it’s how much pressure you exert to do it. If you’re constipated it can lead to problems during the initial time after surgery. Dr Towfigh advised pushing a pillow against the abdomen while doing it to reduce the outward pressure. Those corsets really help as well. You can sort of tell. If you feel any abdominal pain while farting then that should be a warning.