News Feed Discussions Persistent Pain in Upper Right Abdomen – Hernia in Abdominal Wall?

• Persistent Pain in Upper Right Abdomen – Hernia in Abdominal Wall?

Posted by JJKBD on September 30, 2015 at 1:45 am

I have had persistent pain in my upper right abdomen (just under the rib) for 5 months. The pain is worse when I stand or sit for long periods or move certain ways like bending forward. It tends to feel better first thing in the morning or if I lay down to rest. The pain is constant and does not fluctuate based on what I eat.

I had a similar pain with all of my three pregnancies and mentioned it to my doctor each time I went in for a visit. The doctor could never find a cause for the pain and once I gave birth, the pain always went away. My children are now 11, 8 and 6. Over the years the pain has returned a couple of times and my doctor would do a sonogram but could not find anything wrong. After a few weeks the pain would subside. Unfortunately, this time the pain has persisted for 5 months and has become so bad it is affecting my everyday life. I have been scoped by a gastro twice, had two sonograms, made a trip to the ER and had a CAT Scan with contrast. All of these tests came back fine.

Last week, my general practitioner examined me again and now believes I have a hernia in my abdominal wall. He would like me to see a surgeon but he is not sure who to recommend and said it may be hard to diagnosis and treat the hernia. I live in Westchester County (45 minutes north of NYC). Can anyone recommend a good doctor in the area? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Chaunce1234 replied 8 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • drtowfigh

October 3, 2015 at 6:24 am

Persistent Pain in Upper Right Abdomen – Hernia in Abdominal Wall?

Interesting that it was worse during your pregnancies. Although this would be a very atypical presentation, you may want to consider your gallbladder as a cause. It does “act up” during pregnancy. And ultrasound may show no gallstones but a HIDA scan may show dysfunction of the gallbladder, in which case removal may cure your pain. The sphincter of Oddi may also be dysfunctional or in spasm.

Just a wild thought. Possibly too wild.

• Chaunce1234

October 1, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Ok thanks. Good luck.

• JJKBD

October 1, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Thank you for your recommendations. I have made an appointment with Dr. Kaul and I will post an update after I have meet with him.

• melissara

September 30, 2015 at 5:14 am

I agree with dr earle that it is not likely to be a hernia, but i’d like to see the ctscan images. Costrochondritis also in differential. Dr Kaul is terrific. I am also glad to see you if you are able to come to NYC.

• Chaunce1234

September 30, 2015 at 3:10 am

It’s almost certainly not a hernia. I have seen muscle spasms in this exact location mimick a hernia. Pain associated am with a bulge. The bulge turns out, is the muscle balling up in a spasm. Usually massage helps. It’s a good idea to see a surgeon anyway to get a more complete evaluation. I would recommend Dr. Ashtosh Kaul at Westchester County Medical Center in Valhala. Feel free to use my name, and let him know you were referred through Hernia Talk. Hope this helps!