News Feed Discussions Please help, I’m confused..

• Please help, I’m confused..

Posted by Ccspence8 on June 27, 2016 at 3:58 pm

I came back from vacation couple weeks ago and woke up the next morning with severe pain in lower stomach and groin. I have had a right Inguinal hernia in the past (5 years ago which required surgery and a mesh). This time there were things floating around in my scrotum and felt like someone was pulling down on my balls, felt very similar to last time and was on the same side.

My gf brought me to the emergency room (haven’t been since my first hernia). The physicians assistant diagnoses me with a hernia and had to push everything back through..had me lay back with my feet elevated a few feet above my head.

Doctor comes in and can’t feel a hole. Sends me for ultrasound which came back fine. Tells me to follow up with primary care doctor.

All the while I’m in pretty decent pain, very uncomfortable and aching pain in scrotum. So the day I see my doctor is of course the best I’ve felt (long weekend saw him 4 days after incident). He can’t find anything and says I don’t have a hernia.

Get a ct scan over a week later and right now they called back and said they found nothing except my mesh from original surgery.

Sooooo what the heck is going on?
    What should I do?

I’m so frustrated because I know what i feel and felt, and the first person that saw me said it’s possible that my mesh could be allowing things through that can’t be seen or that there’s a hole so tiny that can’t be seen on ultrasound.

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

June 28, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Please help, I’m confused..

You may be right. It is possible that you had a hernia recurrence under the mesh repair and now it is returned back into place.

The best way to evaluate this is via a dynamic imaging study: hernia ultrasound with valsalva maneuvers, CT scan with valsalva, and/or MRI pelvis with valsalva.

Valsalva means bear-down.