News Feed Discussions Post op exercises

• Post op exercises

Posted by Ashah2574 on April 11, 2017 at 11:55 am

Hello, I’m about 3 weeks out from a recurrent ventral hernia open repair. Ventral light mesh was used and the hole was not closed. This was done at dr goodyears office with dr minehart. My hernia was quite big.. to the point where I looked pregnant. I’m part of a military family and flew from Japan to have the surgery done there. I don’t want to rush back into any exercises yet. In the past I was doing a lot of tennis, golf pull-ups and rowing. I’m wondering when it would be safe to go back to these. I’m planning on waiting at least 3 months. Just wondering if I should wait longer and if there are exercises I should be doing in the mean time to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

drtowfigh replied 7 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • drtowfigh

April 20, 2017 at 4:26 am

Totally agree with WasInTN.

I defer to to your surgeon about when it is appropriate to return to certain activities. Usually, by 3 months after a ventral hernia repair, almost everyone should be back to baseline.

• WasInTN

April 18, 2017 at 3:44 pm

You did not tell all the story – male or female? approximate age etc. Dr. Goodyear was my surgeon for IH 3 years ago. I waited 6 weeks for doing any serious bending etc and 8 weeks for other things. Since your hernia was big, yes 3-4 months is best. Dr. Goodyears office is VERY GOOD in returning the emails and phone calls. I also suggest you get their surgical report (if you ask they will mail it) and keep it for records. So the best option is to keep contact with the surgeon and wait 3-4 months. Take it easy. Body needs rest after surgical cut.