News Feed Discussions Probable femoral hernia

Tagged: 

• Probable femoral hernia

Posted by CDub on August 11, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Hi there, I’m a 39 year old female in otherwise good overall health, and I have been diagnosed with a femoral hernia (ultrasound this weekend to confirm). My surgeon said it will need to be repaired, but in the meantime to just try and live my life. Easier said then done. I of course (and know I shouldn’t have) started googling femoral hernias, and the increased risk of stragulation has me terrified. Is it really 21% in the first three months?? I am prone to catastrophizing but I’m really nervous that this isn’t being dealt with sooner! I won’t see my surgeon for another 2.5 weeks, and I’m not even on the waitlist yet. From what I’ve read here in British Columbia I’m looking at a 1-2 month wait after that. Should I be concerned about the waiting? We’re supposed to go on vacation to Disneyland in September, and the thought of having a strangulation there is nerve wracking. I’m so stressed! 🙁

CDub replied 6 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • CDub

August 15, 2017 at 10:42 pm

Thanks for your reply Dr Towfigh. The ultrasound tech found no hernia on either side. She did say that ultrasound isn’t the best choice for confirming hernias. The mass is apparently a vein, a varicose vein I guess? If I lie down the vein was completely straight, but upon standing it kinked and blood pooled where the lump is. I have an appointment with my GP to go over the results tomorrow.

• drtowfigh

August 15, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Femoral hernias should be repaired, as the risk of strangulation or at least incarceration and need for surgery, are quite high in comparison to other groin hernias.

Did the ultrasound confirm a femoral hernia? They are uncommon and often not diagnosed early.