News Feed Discussions Question for dr. Brown

• Question for dr. Brown

Posted by Jnomesh on March 14, 2019 at 12:04 am

Hi. Are there surgeons out there that you know if and can recommmed (besides yourself ofcourse)who specialize in non mesh repairs?
    Many people come to this forum looking for alternatives to mesh repairs and there are only a few known for doing primarily non mesh repairs and specializing in this practice. Any names that you know of who you can vouch for would be great.
    Many people end up having to travel for a pure tissue repair (Canada, Florida and CA) if there are other surgeons out there to add to the list would be very Valuable

UhOh! replied 5 years ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • UhOh!

April 8, 2019 at 6:02 pm

Thanks, Dr. Brown. If I decide to pursue surgery that’s exactly what I’ll do. However at this point I’m still waiting in hopes that the next few years will see more innovation in tissue repair, greater adoption of those innovations, and perhaps reevaluation of how to use completely absorbable meshes in ways that don’t lead to unacceptably high recurrence.

• DrBrown

April 8, 2019 at 4:07 pm

Dear UhOh!
    I did train in st louis, but unfortunately non of my colleagues moved to Chicago
    You best bet to find a local surgeon is to find one about 60 years old. They would have been trained prior to the introduction of mesh.
    You would also try one of the medical schools.
    Be up front with the surgeon. Ask if they believe in the pure tissue repairs.
    Best wishes.
    Bill Brown MD

• UhOh!

April 6, 2019 at 10:18 pm
    quote DrBrown:

Dear Jnomesh.
    If I had a hernia, I would love to repair it myself. Unfortunately, I am not as flexible was I used to be.
    Your best bet to find a local surgeon is find a surgeon who was trained before mesh was available. So he/she would have to be in their late fifties or sixties. Write out your list of questions so that you do not forgot anything. Take someone with you, under the stress of the office visit you will forget half of what the surgeon tells you. Do not hesitate to record your visit.
    Everyone is welcome to come to Calfornia. I have operated on patient’s from every state except Minnesota and Iowa. So they will get a discount.
    Best wishes.
    Bill Brown MD

[USER=”2580″]DrBrown[/USER] , looking at your CV, it looks like you did some training in the Midwest; do you by chance know of surgeons in the Chicago area who regularly do pure tissue repairs? So far the best I’ve gotten is one who said, essentially: “I can do them, I did them exclusively for years, but the last time I did one was about three years ago.”

I’d prefer someone who does them regularly, but more so, I want to go to a surgeon who believes in the technique (asking a surgeon to do something they don’t personally believe in, even if I think it’s right for me, is setting us both up for failure, in my opinion).

Thanks.

• DrBrown

March 25, 2019 at 11:53 pm

Dear Jnomesh.
    If I had a hernia, I would love to repair it myself. Unfortunately, I am not as flexible was I used to be.
    Your best bet to find a local surgeon is find a surgeon who was trained before mesh was available. So he/she would have to be in their late fifties or sixties. Write out your list of questions so that you do not forgot anything. Take someone with you, under the stress of the office visit you will forget half of what the surgeon tells you. Do not hesitate to record your visit.
    Everyone is welcome to come to Calfornia. I have operated on patient’s from every state except Minnesota and Iowa. So they will get a discount.
    Best wishes.
    Bill Brown MD

• lbpd16

March 16, 2019 at 11:33 am

Dr. Brown is a Boss. He would do his own surgery…..without anesthesia.

• dog

March 16, 2019 at 4:04 am

I also would love to ask Dr Brown,,,What doctor he will use if he gets the hernia ?

• Chaunce1234

March 14, 2019 at 6:50 pm
    quote lbpd16:

I’m in Texas and am in the “watchful waiting” period. But when the time does come I am definitely going no mesh. I’m considering Dr. Brown or Dr. Tomas in Fla.

You would think that there would be someone in Texas. With UT, Houston, San Antonio and Dallas you would imagine there would be at least 1 very good no mesh doctor. It seems that is not the case.

In Texas, you might try contacting Dr. John Etlinger in San Antonio, who apparently does a non-mesh repair on select hernia patients.

I am also very interested in the idea of maintaining a list of hernia surgeons who are able, willing, and competent at non-mesh hernia repairs. It’s increasingly difficult to find these surgeons and typically patients must travel far, often out of state, out of insurance networks, or even out of country (like a recent US Senator) to get a non-mesh repair.

• lbpd16

March 14, 2019 at 12:32 am

I’m in Texas and am in the “watchful waiting” period. But when the time does come I am definitely going no mesh. I’m considering Dr. Brown or Dr. Tomas in Fla.

You would think that there would be someone in Texas. With UT, Houston, San Antonio and Dallas you would imagine there would be at least 1 very good no mesh doctor. It seems that is not the case.