News Feed Discussions Recently diagnosed inguinal hernia (UK, no lump, pain)

• Recently diagnosed inguinal hernia (UK, no lump, pain)

Posted by InguinalMedic on July 19, 2019 at 12:57 pm

Hello,

I have been experiencing right testicular discomfort that began around November of last year and only occurs during sexual intercourse. The discomfort increased and prompted a GP appointment in April. I had raised neutrophils so given 1 month of antibiotics. Discomfort continued and was referred for an ultrasound, querying testicular cancer.

At the ultrasound, testicular cancer ruled out. I asked the if they could check my inguinal canal (I’m a second year medical student and had a suspicion it may be a hernia). I was asked to Valsalva and subsequently told I have a small inguinal hernia. Family history of inguinal hernia and I weightlift x3 week. 28 and slim/athletic.

Problem is, I cannot find a lump and the GP couldn’t find a hernia on examination. Either way, I’ve been referred for surgery. Other than discomfort during intercourse (which has now gotten to the point of affecting intercourse) I have no other symptoms. I do not feel any discomfort when attending the gym, though have since stopped.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I’m also trying to find an excellent surgeon. My father’s inguinal hernia surgery had serious complications which is a worry. I’m somewhat limited in the UK as it requires an NHS referral but I’ve come across Professor Sheen amongst others in Manchester (where I live) but I’m aware that I may not get an NHS referral to them. Any other advice?

Thanks

drtowfigh replied 4 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • drtowfigh

September 21, 2019 at 4:30 pm

[USER=”2935″]InguinalMedic[/USER]

• Ericajane1987

September 20, 2019 at 10:57 pm

I would be interested to hear your experience with dr sheen, I hear good things and I am due to see him Tuesday. I hope you have managed to solve your issue x

• drtowfigh

July 20, 2019 at 5:53 pm

Stick with Dr Sheen.

If the ultrasound shows a hernia and your symptoms support such a diagnosis, lack of examination findings is not as important. You may have an occult or hidden hernia.

• DrBrown

July 19, 2019 at 10:02 pm

Dear InguinalMedic.
    You can try different positions during intercourse.
    Is the pain in the testicle or in the scrotum?
    If your pain is in the testicle then a spermatic cord block with some steroids might help.
    You most likely have an indirect hernia. Strongly consider a pure tissue repair. During an open repair the spermatic cord and local nerves can be examined.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD