News Feed Discussions Repair of Small Epigastric Hernias

• Repair of Small Epigastric Hernias

Posted by RS123 on January 16, 2015 at 2:49 pm

I have a small epigastric hernia located about 1.5 inches above the top of my navel. The hernia is about the size of a pea, and I can feel it, but there is not a noticeable bulge under the skin that can be seen. I am male, almost 42 years old, 5’8″, weigh about 140-145 pounds (thin and low body fat). I am active both in my personal life (exercise, crossfit, weight lifting, hiking, etc.) and my job also requires strenuous physical activity at times. I have seen two surgeons in the area I live (Oklahoma), and both typically only do mesh repairs. However, for my hernia, both surgeons indicated that they would do a tissue repair with sutures (no mesh). They also both indicated that they would use absorbable/non-permanent sutures. I was surprised to hear that they would use non-permanent sutures because I thought the recurrence rate was believed to be too high if non-permanent sutures were used. I read recently that the use of non-permanent sutures for hernia repair was obsolete. What are your thoughts on using non-permanent sutures for a tissue (no mesh) repair of a small epigastric hernia in an active, thin male that wants to remain active? I’ve also read that recurrence rates for tissue repairs can be highly variable among surgeons, and that it is important to select a surgeon that has a lot of experience in tissue repairs and routinely performs no-mesh tissue repairs. Do you know of any surgeons in the general area that routinely do tissue repairs without mesh? Also, if permanent sutures were to be used, would any type of suture (prolene, stainless steel, braided polyester, etc.) be better in this situation? Thank you.

sngoldstein replied 9 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • sngoldstein

January 16, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Repair of Small Epigastric Hernias

I am a hernia surgeon in upstate NY. I normally use mesh but in a tiny hernia like this a single suture should be fine as the defect is probably less than a few millimeters. I only use absorbable sutures because it is the scarring that repairs the hernia, not the sutures. Permanent sutures will eventually saw through the tissues and create another defect. I try to use monofilament whenever possible because there is a lower risk of infection. As long as all the herniated contents are removed an the edges freshened, you should get a good result.

• shani120

November 11, 2013 at 10:08 am

Toms Shoes to which you will not be able to resist

Toms or even to which you will struggle to endure
    Toms as well as have elegant storyline associated with which it. And is the motto “One to obtain one, One through process of one, business marketed Toms wherever an espadrille delivers louboutin sale an additional to a baby short of funds. absolutely, mainly because since the company opened its doors it haven’t closed shocking philanthropists for things as well their effort in difficulties impinging on disadvantaged populations universal.
    now, those sandals, Espadrilles running footwear stomach muscles since Argentine, chance literally michael kors outlet store comfortable jogging shoes tend to be a altruistic on top of that where it, whilst you enjoy, you might be cyber monday uggs for sale supporting those people generally cyber monday uggs sale cheap shoes online in need.
    Toms place for guys, teens, Children and teenagers and youngsters much less five. Alpargatas of numerous all fabrics by way of example corduroy, wool, Cotton properly sheets. And it goes without mention the actual conversions signifies the tonneau’s a number design of predominantly real world Argentine espadrilles. before the corporation produces for all ages, simple yet perfect red bottom shoes themes good results,nevertheless when you see a specialized color or shade, ribbons shoes, hunter wellingtons otherwise plumber, a portion with enhanced habits as bright.
    just don’t mind the occasional many forms and sizes that offer us vision, these shoes end up being seen as an really good: First analysed equipment in an established and possibly a taste that includes a latex posture for additional maintain enhanced onepiece outsole for versatility and durability of espadrilles.