News Feed Discussions Request to surgeons: offer no-insurance payment options for hernia surgeries

• Request to surgeons: offer no-insurance payment options for hernia surgeries

Posted by Chaunce1234 on March 26, 2019 at 7:43 pm

This is a general request for all hernia surgeons. Please consider offering no-insurance cash payment options for hernia surgeries and procedures related to hernias and complications.

From a patient perspective, it seems that insurance companies are increasingly limiting care networks and limiting doctor choices. Therefore offering all-in-one payment options for direct patient-to-surgeon care would be much appreciated.

If possible, consider offering package care prices for procedures related to hernias, like:

– Uncomplicated hernia repair

– Complicated hernia repair

– Recurrences

– Mesh removal and/or mesh complications (this may be the most challenging to estimate cost for?)

I realize there are many variables involved in the cost of care, but even packages with price ranges would be helpful for patients making decisions. Perhaps cutting out the middle-man of insurance would offer some cost savings and an alternative for patients who must leave the increasingly small insurance networks for proper treatment.

This also may be of particular interest for patients who live in regions where proper care is not available, or who must travel to the experts out of state or out of country for whatever reason.

Chaunce1234 replied 5 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Chaunce1234

March 28, 2019 at 12:43 am

[USER=”2511″]lbpd16[/USER] and [USER=”2580″]DrBrown[/USER] thank you for sharing this information.

Similarly, I have read that Shouldice in Toronto charges US patients somewhere around $6500-$8000 for a standard hernia repair including three days hospital and meals, but anyone interested should inquire with Shouldice directly to get an accurate quote.

Also worth mentioning is that apparently you can sometimes submit paperwork to an insurance company for reimbursement after paying out of pocket for a procedure, so that could be a consideration for some people who are must travel out of insurance networks for needed care.

• DrBrown

March 27, 2019 at 9:29 pm

Dear Chaunce1234.
    I charge $4000 for a simple hernia repair. That includes my fee, anesthesia fee, and the facility fee.

Removing mesh is a difficult operation and the cost would have to be individualized. But for less than $8000 total.

regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• lbpd16

March 27, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Dr. Tomas does this. $3750

• Brady

March 27, 2019 at 4:46 am

Medical bills are expensive and it would cost a lot but I agree that it would be good to have the out of pocket information because the insurance networks keep shrinking every year to be smaller and smaller.

It feels like in another couple of years the only thing insurance will cover is calling their own insurance company nurse line and they will still probably charge a high deductible for that too!!