News Feed Discussions Research in alternative methods to mesh?

• Research in alternative methods to mesh?

Posted by Phentis on April 30, 2017 at 4:29 am

Is anyone aware if there is any promising research going on that could result in a new recommended way for mesh repairs in the next 5-10 years, alternative to using mesh and steel sutures? The current method of mesh repair sounds like past century to me.

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

June 2, 2017 at 5:52 am

Al interesting ideas.

We we need a spray that can have the early strength to hold the hernia in.

The new long term synthetic absorbables have many surgeons raving about them. I’m a bit pessimistic about their applicability. They are super expensive and long term data seems to hint at relatively high recurrence rates. The recurrences may occur later than with BIOLOGICS which resin much faster.

Stem cells etc are all great ideas. Cost is the major issue. Insurance already reimburses so poorly for hernias. You can’t sell a mesh that costs more than the reimbursement for the operation.

The new hybrid mesh products have potential. I’ve become a fan of TelaBio’s Ovitex hybrid mesh. It’s a high quality biologic with a small amount of nonabsorbable synthetic sewn into it. I’ve had great success in patients with chronic pain, athletes, infections. Clinical trials pending.

Yes! Robotic tissue repair. I’ve been offering it as a minimally invasive non-mesh technique for inguinal hernia repair. I’m studying the outcomes. No one else is currently performing this. To date, have had excellent results.

• Chaunce1234

May 28, 2017 at 7:33 pm

What about an absorbable temporary lattice that is sprayed or soaked in the patients own stem cells, to try and encourage native tissue growth? Is that just nonsensical?

What about a temporary mesh that was soaked in platelet rich plasma? Any theoretical benefit?

Are there any recent updates or ongoing research with the completely absorbable meshes?

Is there any longterm data/evidence supporting the Desarda repair yet?

quote :

– New less invasive techniques. I’ve been performing robotic-assisted non mesh (tissue) repairs with good success.

Can you give any more details about this? What’s the recovery like compared to other repairs? Has it been effective or tried on a patient with pre-op pain?

• drtowfigh

May 27, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Yes. Lots of exciting technology in the works.
    – Hybrid mesh where the amount of synthetic is dramatically reduced. Thus, less inflammation or reaction.
    – New sutures that are just as strong but less reactive than what we are currently using. Steel breaks so it’s no longer a viable option for most surgeons.
    – New less invasive techniques. I’ve been performing robotic-assisted non mesh (tissue) repairs with good success.