robotic-assisted laparoscopic non-mesh hernia repairs?

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion robotic-assisted laparoscopic non-mesh hernia repairs?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Alephy
      Participant

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] in which cases is this procedure used? indirect hernias only? with children?

drtowfigh
      Keymaster

Small inguinal hernias.

Alephy
      Participant

Also direct ones?

Alephy
      Participant

Does it mean that when the hernia is small can actually be repaired without a mesh? Why robotic and not laparoscopy if I may ask? They are so different?

Alephy
      Participant

And how small do they need to be?

drtowfigh
      Keymaster

Can sew more easily robotically.

yes. Direct if they are small.

these are nonscrotal hernis withiut significant bulging.

JamesDoncaster
      Participant

Do we have a partial list of doctors that perform this procedure? I have a small inguinal hernia that has not been repaired and causes some amount of pain dailyl. If I can get it sewn laparoscopically while it is small without any mesh, I would consider doing this. A previous small inguinal hernia (on the other side) was repaired with mesh and has caused me significant pain.

drtowfigh
      Keymaster

It’s a short list
      for now it’s just me
      Drs Chen, Belyansky, and Jacob are interested to start offering this too.

Alephy
      Participant

I am wondering, what is the risk of nerve damage in the simpler procedures of just stitching up for small hernias?

Alephy
      Participant

@drtowfigh how small in cm does a direct hernia have to be to be eligible to this procedure? I am still wondering how one measures the size….

drtowfigh
      Keymaster

Chronic pain risk is same with all procedures, just the mesh can’t be blamed for the non mesh operations.

We don’t have hard data. I would say 3cm would be a hard upper limit for robotic tissue repair.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar