News Feed Discussions Robotic Inguinal Hernia Surgery FANTASTIC Post-op

• Robotic Inguinal Hernia Surgery FANTASTIC Post-op

Posted by dand on October 2, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I am really glad to post my positive IH repair experience. After doing many hours of web research over the years. I had my IH for over 14 years & prior to surgery it moved into my scrotum & around the size of a small cantaloupe. Hernia did not anoy me but did slow me down… was able to self reduce hernia if needed. I was truly frightened of surgery outcome especially with a lot of the problematic, chronic pain & mesh complication posts on this & other forums. I was scheduled for open IH surgery back in 2008 by a well regarded hernia surgeon. He said it could not be done minimally invasive but open (I do believe he did not do laparoscopic hernia surgery). He also said I better have IH repair soon (hernia was small at this time)
    Because of a pre-op X-ray for open IH repair finding a lesion on my lung (possible lung cancer) had lung surgery instead… turned out to be a fire drill & caused from pneumonia & would have gone away if left alone without surgery. Because of a previous Laparoscopic Prostate surgery in 2001 robotic surgery was the only way to go for my surgery. I choose an experienced robotic surgeon Stephen Pereira MD at Hackensack NJ who has been doing & teaching robotic surgery since 2000. He has had done countless numbers of minimally invasive inguinal hernia repairs both both laparoscopic and robot assisted, on men who have had prostatectomies. Robotic IH Surgery took 3hrs & a progrip mesh was used. Results FANTASTIC… I did not even have to take any pain meds. Some soreness for about a minute in the beginning when I sat up out of bed in morning…it is no longer happening after 1 weeks time. I was even able to do work at my computer the afternoon of surgery & everyday after. I did turn black & blue, but had just minimally swelling (no full senoma that I expected)- I did constant icing & they have been normal within 1 week. It is now 2.5 weeks post surgery I am walking on treadmill & functioning quite normally as prior to surgery (am following Dr’s orders & not lifting anything over 15lbs)… & I do not have the hernia!
    So everyone reading theses posts should make sure to do their homework in making the right surgeon choice & think positive in ending up with a successful repair.

dand replied 7 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • dand

November 5, 2016 at 1:49 am

Robotic Inguinal Hernia Surgery FANTASTIC Post-op

UPDATE: 7 weeks post surgery. Back to pre-surgery treadmill speeds & feeling great with my hernia repaired. Absolutely no apparent problems in any everyday tasks, physical activities, coughing & sneezing. Shaved belly hair is growing back & quiet bristly. After much pre surgery concern I had a ProGrip mesh repair & at this point in time have no feeling that I even have a mesh. If I feel real deep under the testicles I sometimes feel a hard bump that comes & goes if I am lying in bed… may be a seroma (does not have any pain & is not annoying)?
    All I can say to forum members is make sure to do do your homework & choose an experienced & highly regarded surgeon & wishing you have the same post surgery & success as I have.

• dand

October 14, 2016 at 10:31 pm

I certainly will… this is the best hernia forum on the internet. The doctors & members helped me big time pre surgery. The post surgical tips also helped. A big shout out to Paul Szotek MD who’s knowledgeable extended advice really help me make a correct solution for my IH repair.

• Chaunce123

October 13, 2016 at 6:09 pm

dand, this is a great story and I’m really glad to hear you have had such a positive surgical experience. This will be undoubtedly helpful to other patients who are looking for a good hernia surgeon in the New Jersey area.

Best of luck moving forward and if you feel like checking in once in a while perhaps keep us updated on your continued progress.