News Feed Discussions Severe groin pain

  • Severe groin pain

    Posted by vtjbrent on December 26, 2015 at 7:08 pm

    Have seen 8 doctors in last 7 months for sudden, sharp, and severe pain in left side of my groin close to the midline of my groin, both above the crease and below the crease in right side of upper left thigh. Pain is definitely motion related but also occurs randomly off and on throughout the day. No bulge. No pain when coughing. Also, no pain when examined by a uro-gyn and my GYN. However, both my GYN and a sports medicine doctor said that my description of the pain sounds like a hernia. Saw3 a surgeon who said that because I am thin, he would have been able to feel a hernia. I had MRIs of the lower back and left hip that show minor findings, but do not explain severity of pain. Recently had MRI of pelvis, but showed nothing. I live in south Florida, will travel as I have been unable to get a diagnosis. Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

    vtjbrent replied 8 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

    January 4, 2016 at 7:37 am

    Severe groin pain

    My office will work with you to make sure I have all I need.

  • vtjbrent

    December 26, 2015 at 9:34 pm

    Severe groin pain

    Thank you very much for your response. I am thin, but not super thin. 5’4″, 115 lbs. Most often (but not always) the area is tender only when I am experiencing pain, and then it is very painful to the touch.
    I will call your office after New Years to schedule an appointment. Are there any tests that my GYN could order that would be helpful to have before seeing you?
    Thank you once again! I very much appreciate your response.

  • drtowfigh

    December 26, 2015 at 8:57 pm

    Severe groin pain

    Hi and thanks for posting.
    If your symptoms are suggestive of a hernia, and you are tender at the ara when you touch it, then you should do as you are doing: try hard to get a definitive diagnosis before committing to any intervention or surgery.
    If you are super-thin, you probably also have very little fat. It is usually the fat that is in the inguinal canal that causes the pain.
    MRI is best done in these situations with valsalva or beardown views. I suggest you have the MRI re-read by a radiologist who specializes in this problem. Alternatively, I am happy to review it also. The process would be to either see me in consultation in person so that I can examine you or send your MRI and records to me via an online consultation (see
    Near you, I recommend Dr. Jerrold Young and Dr. Eduardo Parra-Davila.
    Good luck! And don’t give up!

Log in to reply.