News Feed Discussions Should I be thinking about surgery?

• Should I be thinking about surgery?

Posted by shizanski on February 12, 2015 at 12:12 am

I was at the gym last week and I was on the leg press machine. I think I went too far down and put pressure on my stomach when I got a hernia.

For a second I saw a bulge on my far left side at the very end of my rib cage. I just saw it pop out and immediately go back in. I got off the machine and although I felt some pain in that area the next week or so, it does seem to be healing fine on it’s own.

I don’t have much pain but if I touch the spot it does hurt (less pain each day).

Should I be thinking about surgery to stitch up the muscles? It’s been a week and it seems to be healing fine on it’s own. Not sure what to do in this situation. I’m currently in a foreign country and am learning the language, so it’s a bit difficult to find a physician or talk with him. What’s the general medical consensus on an issue like this?

drtowfigh replied 9 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

February 14, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Should I be thinking about surgery?

It’s very very rare to have a hernia by the ribs. If you have one, it’s called a Spigian hernia. As with most hernias, they should be repaired if they are causing pain. Otherwise, those can be watched and no activity restrictions are necessary.