News Feed Discussions small hernia — just sew it shut?

• small hernia — just sew it shut?

Posted by JamesDoncaster on January 22, 2020 at 8:49 pm

I have a small hernia on my left side, which is too small to feel on a physical exam, but can be seen on an MRI (and I can feel it).

I have a mesh removal on my right side planned for the coming month. As long has he has me open and under general anesthesia, would it be reasonable to just have him sew shut the small hernia on my left side with dissolvable stitches?

“Sewing it shut” would seem to be rather low risk. And, given the small size of the hernia, it might hold. If anybody can opine on why this would be a bad idea, I would love to know why.

drtowfigh replied 4 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 3, 2020 at 5:52 am

– I don’t recommend mixing a chronic pain procedure with a new elective operation, in most cases.
    – just sewing shut with absorbable sutures doesn’t work.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  drtowfigh.
  • Alephy

January 22, 2020 at 10:24 pm

The most often reason is that the surgeon often only knows how to do it with a mesh…also I was told two open procedures at the same time are not done….in laparoscopy it seems it is hard to do anything other than mesh…

I have spoke. To two surgeons explained why a mesh could be bad for me and at the end of the discussions they were still enumerating the big advantages of mesh…the last one was honest in saying that that’s what he knows best….none mentioned chronic pain risks…