News Feed Discussions Small Umbilical Hernia Repair Advice

• Small Umbilical Hernia Repair Advice

Posted by Melina81 on August 9, 2015 at 8:31 am

Hello –

I was just diagnosed with an umbilical hernia (this is not from being pregnant as I do not have children). Mine is very small and is hard to notice as I still have an “innie.” After having infrequent abdominal pain for a few months I noticed the very top of my belly button was slightly swollen. At this junction I saw a medical professional and my suspicion was confirmed.

I met with two surgeons who perform both open and laparoscopic corrections . The first doctor said it was so small lap would be more invasive – he suggested a crease incision and would most likely use mesh, making the final decision once he was inside. The second doctor preferred lap with mesh.

I am debating on which option to pursue. I have been very active in weight lifting for 14+ years, competing in the sport and have no plans to quit (less for my recovery). I am a 34 year old female, 5’3, 112 lbs.

I am in Las Vegas and we have limited medical options here (so it feels anyway).
    This is the first doctor – Citro
    http://www.drbriancitro.com/index.html
    This is the facility he would perform the surgery which also describes their/his repair process:
    http://www.mivipsurgerylasvegas.com/General-Surgery/Umbilical-Hernia-Repair

This is the second doctor – Teng
    His site mostly centers around lap and bariatrics, but he is know locally to do great general surgery as well.
    http://www.fwtengbariatrics.com/

If anyone has thoughts and/or other suggestions I would be most grateful.

Thank you for your time.

M

Melina81 replied 8 years ago 4 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • drtowfigh

July 6, 2016 at 2:58 am

Small Umbilical Hernia Repair Advice

It’s hard to recur from these repairs but it does happen. Sometimes the pain is from a partial tear not a full recurrence. And it will heal and scar in.

• Melina81

June 30, 2016 at 2:54 am

Well now it has been a quite a spell since my surgery, over 9 months. I was having some initial pain and/or pulling when working out but it all subsided 4 months in.

As mentioned before, I am an avid weight lifter. I have been getting back to doing more core work (I have never been excessive with it, just enough for a extra core strength for my other lifts). All has been well until … I have never been a huge fan of sit-ups, but attempted some decline sit-ups 7 days ago. The sit-ups felt fine as I was doing them, but I began to notice pain the next day. This pain has progressed into a sore/raw/burning feeling inside, very similar to how I felt after surgery. I don’t feel any lumps and did the cough test on myself. Is it normal to feel pain this far out after activity? Could I have a recurrence without a lump?

• Melina81

June 30, 2016 at 2:47 am

Sorry I haven’t been back here! I went with Sean Dort. If you Google him, he will pull up. 🙂

• nejy16

December 22, 2015 at 1:15 am

I am in Las Vegas also and was told that I have an umbilical hernia. I also have diastasis recti after having 2 babies. I am not overweight and am relatively petite. I met with a surgeon that only does mesh repairs regardless of the size, but I have been hesitant to use the mesh due to complications and was wondering which surgeon you ended up going with. I at least would like to get a second opinion.

• drtowfigh

October 10, 2015 at 5:59 am

The area of the hernia repair is naturally tighter than it used to be. If you have pain or soreness after a workout, use ice. It should help.

I agree with the assessment by your surgeon/nurse.

I recommend visiting your surgeon so you can be examined. Sometimes there is a pulling and tearing of the muscle (not the suture) and this will take a while to recover from. It does t necessarily mean you tore the hernia apart.

• Melina81

October 7, 2015 at 4:16 pm

I am so sorry to keep posting on the forum – but I do have a new question.

My surgery went really well. As I mentioned, I was literally 100% pain free 5 days after the surgery as if the hernia had never happened. I was not lifting but doing cardio, jogging with no problem at day 5 and felt like a million bucks (they said I was clear to do cardio when I felt fine, and I was up and walking with no issue on day 2 and never used pain meds post-op).

I had my follow-up at 15 days and my surgeon said I could begin lifting so long as it did not stress my core and at 3 weeks I am cleared to resume all activity. I am a competitive lifter thus fairly strong, but did nothing with direct core involvement and light weight. I also never had any pain while I was lifting.

After a few days I began to get incredibly sore in my abdomen and I would say the pain now is worse than with the hernia or even in the few days post surgery. The pain is around the incision but also radiating into my groin/back with mild pressure. I called my surgeon’s office on Monday and while my surgeon is out for the week, I spoke with the nurse. She said not to lift anything, ice it etc. and if I saw no improvement in a week then would have me come in.

I have been doing that for 3 days and no change. I have pushed around in there and don’t feel/see a lump other than maybe the healing ridge (I think anyway, it’s a hard nodule). As I massage around the tissue it feels raw to me? I guess that’s the best way to describe it. I am 21 days post op at the point.

Would I know if I tore a suture?

• Chaunce1234

September 27, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Still looks normal.

• Melina81

September 26, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Now that some of the swelling has gone down I was taking another look. There is still surgical glue on here …

IDK to me it looks like some odd swirl? It uses to just pull tightly to the center and now it looks swirled with the only middle being the expanded hernia skin.

I know it will take time like Dr. Earle said, but it just looks so odd to me? Does it still look normal?

• Melina81

September 26, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Now that some of the swelling has gone down I was taking another look. There is still surgical glue on here …

IDK to me it looks like some odd swirl? It uses to just pull tightly to the center and now it looks swirled with the only middle being the expanded hernia skin.

I know it will take time like Dr. Earle said, but it just looks so odd to me? Does it still look normal?

• drtowfigh

September 26, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Looks great. Your swelling will reduce with time.

• Melina81

September 22, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Ok, I wasn’t sure if that part seen in the second pre-op photo/attachment is normal – where the hernia “was” and/or there is some extra skin.

I am glad to hear I am right on track. Thank you so much. 🙂 My little hernia was painful and I already feel so much better.

• Chaunce1234

September 22, 2015 at 5:01 pm

It looks right you’re right on track! The final result won;t be known for 3-6 months at least. You did it!

• Melina81

September 22, 2015 at 3:58 pm

I am 6 days post op. The doctor did a crease incision, I believe without mesh. My pain never exceeded a 4-5 (I didn’t use pain meds) and by day 3, I was pain free. 6 days out I feel no pain less the incision site healing and/or itching.

That being said, I am looking at my button and it looks funny to me? I know there is a good amount of healing that needs to take place BUT I have noticed, where my belly button was holding the hernia (pre-op pics are above) now it looks like a skin flap. Will this heal normally? Does it look ok to you? I have to say before the hernia I rather liked my belly button.

I attached a normal picture of me standing and a close up with the hole expanded (same as what I posted above pre-operation).

My follow up is next Thurs (10/1) with my surgeon.

• Melina81

August 29, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Thank you both for all your help. 🙂

• drtowfigh

August 22, 2015 at 6:30 am

Dr Earle: perfect answer. I 100% agree. :silly:
    If less than 1cm defect I would err on no mesh and place mesh only if it recurs (very low chance, less than 1%).

• Chaunce1234

August 18, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Least invasive option = open.
    Least chance of recurrence = mesh
    Differences are relatively small, and risks related to mesh are small.
    Yes it is confusing, but you still have to decide. Just make sure the surgeon is comfortable with your preferences. And remember, they are YOUR preferences, so don’t get talked in to or out of something that you think is right for you. It may not be the right decision, but it’s your decision. And nobody can predict the future.

• Melina81

August 17, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Well, I met a 3rd surgeon – he felt the defect was so small it would not need mesh, but would make the decision once he was inside. He is well aware of my activity level and felt due to the size, the rate of recurrence would be minimal and mesh would do more harm than good, especially considering how thin I am.

3 surgeons and 3 different opinions. This is all so confusing and I just want this tiny little thing fixed.

• Chaunce1234

August 15, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Activity as tolerated based on pain and discomfort is a good rule of thumb.

• Melina81

August 15, 2015 at 3:51 pm

This is unrelated to the surgery – I am still active in the gym until I get the surgery done. Would it be harmful or helpful to do exercises like planks?

• Chaunce1234

August 11, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Given your activity level, mesh would have a relatively lower chance or recurrence. It’s up to you to decide, and that needs to be done woth your surgeon, whomever that may be. Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2