News Feed Discussions So mentally destroyed – right inguinal hernia repair with mesh – 4 years later

• So mentally destroyed – right inguinal hernia repair with mesh – 4 years later

Posted by tooyoungforthis on June 27, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I am a late twenties male and my life has been ruined by my right-side inguinal hernia mesh repair back in 2013. I have become so mentally destroyed after years of symptoms without relief. This is affecting everything from sleeping, to eating, to sex and I cannot stand this anymore. I have struggled for years while trying to find relief, yet no matter who I go to and who I see, they all tell me I’m “imagining” my symptoms, it’s “all in my head”, or that “nothing can be done”. How big of a coincidence is it that I was fine the day before surgery and all of my problems began after I came out of anesthesia in the post-op room, that very same day?

I am currently living out of my car. My health has spiraled out of control. I have tremendous problems with eating and sleeping because of this. My cognition is in the toilet. I was the definition of health and exercise, and now I can hardly recognize myself. Asking around for surgeons who will remove the mesh successfully has proven to be a waste of time, and I’m tired of being redirected into “pain management” programs or given Lyrica and told to shut up.

Does anyone here know of a surgeon who will take out the mesh, and do so successfully? I have been looking into a few doctors online but I have heard some horror stories. I won’t mention names. I’m looking for someone that can get me back on my feet and back to work.

I unfortunately am off good insurance and now have Medicare. Finding a surgeon that takes Medicare that isn’t at a large, well-known hospital might be a stretch.

I’d be willing to sell my car and live on the street to pay for surgery if that’s what it meant to be healthy again. All I want is my life and health back. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • drtowfigh

July 4, 2017 at 9:58 pm

There are many of us that can help you. Where do you live? Perhaps we can refer you to a colleague.

• mela414

June 28, 2017 at 12:18 am

You can use the search bar on this forum to find doctors that do mesh removal. I’m sure you can find someone who takes Medicare but you first need to have a consult to make sure the doctor feels it’s the mesh that is really causing you a problem. Are you willing to travel? If not search for the state that you are in. Maybe Dr Towfigh can refer you to someone close to your home.
    Best of luck. Keep us posted.
    Mel