News Feed Discussions Someone with mesh removal and positive outcome?

• Someone with mesh removal and positive outcome?

Posted by paco on September 28, 2018 at 8:31 pm

Hi, I’m Paco from Spain.

I suffer from disabling chronic groin and testicular pain due a recent (5 months) inguinal open hernia repair with polypropilene “plug and mesh” (Rutkow-Robbins), wich actually I’ve discovered is a technique not recommended by European Union Hernia Advisory Board, due strong fibrosis, erosion, migration and high inguinodynia rates.
    Additionally I’ve developed some kind of general immune inflamatory reaction and systemic central neurologic disorders after the mesh implant, with burning in my legs, feet and arms, “abacterian prostatitis like” most commonly known as chronic pelvic pain syndrome, needles sensation in my armpits and joints, as well as collagenic tissue disorders.

By the way my surgeon don’t care.

I’ve visited another surgeon with expertise in mesh and plug excision and anatomical reconstruction (Shouldice, Bassini and others), who thinks in a systemic (but not local) foreign body rejection, as well as a combined nerve mesh entrapment and irritation.

He suggest a removal of both meshes (plug and patch), careful disection of tissues, nerve identification with or without triple neurectomy, and anatomical reconstruction with the Shouldice technique if possible.
    The main problem is according to it that is a laborious procedure (hours of surgery) but possible as he perform such very often.

My concern is to know if someone here has done a mesh removal and/or neurectomy with a good outcome.

Likewise, to know thereafter if neurectomy (triple or simple) has serious complications, as my surgeon advised me that sometimes can form a painful neuroma, because the nerve try to find the cape and finishing shaping a neuroma. Also if the expected numbness sensation is unpleasant.

A lot of thanks.

scaredtodeath replied 5 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • scaredtodeath

October 21, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Oh boy please tell me it ain’t that bad… I still have to get mine fixed but too scared when I hear things like this..

• Tilda

October 21, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Go and see Dr. Slooter at Maxima in the Netherlands.

• Chaunce1234

October 5, 2018 at 2:34 am

[USER=”2721″]paco[/USER] I’m sorry you’re going through this.

You’ll read mixed reports on mesh removal, and there are good and bad stories. If you are considering it, be sure to find an experienced surgeon to consult with that does a lot of hernia re-do surgeries and that has significant experience in mesh removal.

Unfortunately I don’t know of any surgeons in Spain, but there are several well-regarded surgeons in Germany:

– Dr Ulrike Muschawek in Germany

– Dr Andreas Koch in Germany

Dr Muschawek performs many surgeries on professional athletes, including mesh removal. They may be a good starting point and perhaps has a network in Spain or closer to you as well.

Good luck and keep us updated on your case.