News Feed Discussions Something weird after workout: bulge seemed to recess

• Something weird after workout: bulge seemed to recess

Posted by UhOh! on June 24, 2016 at 2:26 am

Yesterday morning after working out I got home and noticed something seemingly counterintuitive: the small bulge I typically have seemed to have (temporarily) receded a bit. My workouts are with weights and yesterday I did squatting, overhead pressing, cable pull-downs and the battle ropes (those huge ropes that one uses where they appear to be holding reins and whipping a horse…).

Is that as counterintuitive as it seems?

Are there scenarios where increasing intra-abdominal pressure pushes things back in, instead of out?

Is it possible (even likely) that my hernia changes positions slightly throughout the day (sometimes sticking out, sometimes recessed) and that working out had absolutely nothing to do with what I was seeing?

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • UhOh!

June 29, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Something weird after workout: bulge seemed to recess

Guess that’s why they say only ask questions you want the answer to :(…

Thanks, though, appreciate the clarification. May indeed be what makes me a little more proactive about seeking a surgeon’s opinion on repair…

• drtowfigh

June 29, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Pressure… Squats have been shown to increase abdominal pressure. Most believe that increased pressure leads to larger and possibly more symptomatic hernias.

Take the squats out of your regimen.

• UhOh!

June 29, 2016 at 2:25 pm

quote :

Exercises that have been shown to increase abdominal include squats and jumping.

Sorry, Dr. Towfigh, but I reread your response and wanted to clarify something: Is there supposed to be a word in between “abdominal” and “include”, perhaps either “pressure” or “strength”? One would suggest that I proceed cautiously with squats and jumps, while the other implies their role in keeping symptoms at bay. Thanks.

• UhOh!

June 25, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Squats are the main exercise I do… Pre-hernia I did them with a belt (in order to maximize intra-abdominal pressure) but since finding this I’ve left the belt off and lowered the weight a bit.

They were great for building abdominal strength before, when I would really push it, but now I fear that doing so (maximizing pressure and weight lifted) might do more harm than good…

Should I not be squatting at all? There’s no pain, just a slight feeling of pressure in the area if I Valsalva too hard and crank up the pressure too much but I’m a huge fan of watchful waiting and don’t want something to accelerate the need for surgery.

• drtowfigh

June 25, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Working out has not been associated with increased abdominal pressure, for the most part. In fact, when performed correctly, it engages the abdomen and supports the core abdominal muscles.

Yes, it’s possible that the hernia bulging receded with exercise. You are effectively strengthening and supporting the muscles on the periphery of the hernia.

Exercises that have been shown to increase abdominal include squats and jumping.