News Feed Discussions Special thanks to Watchful…..

• Special thanks to Watchful…..

Posted by Unknown Member on April 15, 2023 at 8:34 pm

For the absolute best posts on this forum…Has anyone done more DD for a hernia repair than our friend Watchful? Fanatical research…interviewed the best doctors…and still made the wrong decision??? It shows what a minefield we are wading through. It amazes me that a guy like W gets a bad result and the four chowderheads who work on my floor…just went to whoever their primary sent them to had open mesh shoved in them and they are all fine. I think part of the reason is that they did not watchfully wait…like i did…like watchful did. Fixing these hernias soon in the process prob yields a better result. Watchful thanks for your recent post on mesh vs no mesh repairs…you gave me hope that my mesh removal may have left my body in better shape than a tissue repair gone bad. Indeed my pain is improving as i close in on 8 months —since you are the brains of this operation…i hope you will stick around—again would love to chat sometime and am happy to pay you for your time…name a price…And if you worry like Good Intentions that i will stalk you…you can feel free to call me and block your number. I am determined not to make any more mistakes with my care–and you are just about the smartest person i have come across regarding hernias…and you have no incentive to lie to me like the doctors do…you really should start a consulting business…I know i would have paid any sum to retain you. Getting my mesh removed by Dr. B was the first step in my return to health—he is clearly the best in the world……now I want to ensure I see the best doctor should a recurrance be needed…I still think this is Kang…but I wonder if Lorenz or Conze might be better…Lorenz is very impressive…and I read that Conze is somewhat limited..in terms of the repairs he does. Tomas told me he would not do a desarda over mesh removal tissue…Kang said it would not be a problem. I wonder what the German doctors would say. Or maybe professor desarda himself? The desarda repair has a lot to recommend it…and i have been studying it closley now for awhile. I can tell you that i am the boy in the bubble from now on —really with everything….break a bone in your foot as my sister in law just did…your options are very much like what we hernia folks have…all bad. Thanks to all who post here…but particularly to Watchful…if i had gotten my hernia today…instead of years ago…i am certain i would have chosen the perfect doc thanks to all your posts.

Unknown Member replied 1 year ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Unknown Member

April 16, 2023 at 3:02 pm

Watchful —curious who did your shouldice surgery? were you able to pick your surgeon? Did you get a consult on your visit? and who did Dr. Lorenz? that would seem to be the guy to go to?

• Unknown Member

April 16, 2023 at 2:03 pm

Watchful…thanks so much. This insight is simply impossible to find short of flying to see all these surgeons personally. You really should start a website and consult….your information is life changing valuable. I know i would have paid whatever you asked for a consult. I really screwed up. I should have treated my hernia immediately while it was small….it was indirect…not really sure how large…but by the time i was fixing it nearly 5 years later…it was descending into my testicle. Dr B says he has never seen an indirect come back after mesh removal…but our friend AJM’s hernia returned promptly after Dr B removal…and i think Jonahs the same after dr B removal….so Dr B maybe isnt honest either? That’s interesting about Conze and the Desarda. I had not heard that and read about 1 million posts from patients who had desarda repairs but it makes complete sense. I don’t trust any of these doctors anymore. If I recur I still don’t know what to do. Kang has confidently said he can repair any hernia. He says he has fixed hernias the size of a Baby’s head…and he really seems like a caring genuine fellow….but my experience is that virtually all these doctors lie –so i still don’t know what to think…and the fact that a brilliant researcher like yourself still couldnt figure out the way to get fixed is truly terrifying. After mesh removal my options are limited. Belyanksky said he could do a tissue repair…but he is simply not a tissue guy. Kang is doing 12 tissue surgeries per day–he seems to be the guy to see. I saw lots of people online complaining about their shouldice repairs…mostly on Facebook—healing times were silly long…some saying they still had serious pain three years later. Never mind that shouldice is very suture heavy…many surgeons cut the cremaster etc. I cant help but wonder if a very simple open mesh surgery isnt the best surgery overall…some guys on the natural hernia cure board were told lap wouldnt work because their hernias were so large…so they defaulted to open mesh and had no issues whatsoever. All these lap surgeons will tell you that open mesh has tons of complications….but nearly every idiot i know just went in had open mesh…and i am talking about 15 guys…all had no issues whatsoever…they had pain for a week max and then were completely fine. I wonder if we didn’t make the mistake of really digging in here and listening to all these corrupt surgeons who were skewing the facts and research to get us to select them…I did Lap because Yunis said the complication rate was silly low…and all the lap surgeons i said said the same….when i asked about tissue repairs they all said…oh painful invasive weak yada yada….so if you were me knowing what you know about my case—would you still see conze? He would likely try a shouldice which even kang says is just too invasive —or would you risk Kang? Kang is basically bootleggin a marcy repair..and changing it in some mysterious ways…I wish there was some way to get some clarity. I never that that a simple hernia might affect me daily for the rest of my life.

• Watchful

April 15, 2023 at 9:40 pm

Much appreciated, Chuck, but I don’t deserve it. I had a bad outcome even with all that research, so not sure about the quality of my insight.

By the way, Conze wasn’t sold on Desarda when I talked to him. He could do it, but he had doubts about how well it worked. His concern was that Desarda requires a good external oblique aponeurosis (EOA), and it’s not uncommon for people with a weak posterior wall (and hence a direct hernia) to have a weak EOA as well.

Lorenz was more positive about Desarda, but his preference was Shouldice primarily because of the more extensive track record. One other thing you may be interested in knowing about Lorenz… He actually had a Shouldice procedure himself a couple of years back when he was 60. This was actually one of the factors that convinced me to go with a Shouldice procedure. Of course, he had a good outcome, and me not so much…