News Feed Discussions Spigelian hernia?

• Spigelian hernia?

Posted by sandiego on August 24, 2015 at 12:05 am

Hi

I recently had a MRI that came back as”normal”. Ive been suffering with what i think are Spigelian hernias for 4 years now. At least 1 on each side.

Can you tell by the pictures if that is what it is?

Thankyou so much! This has been a real nightmare.

sandiego replied 8 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Chaunce1234

September 3, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Spigelian hernia?

I’m sure you’ll be fine. Too bad we couldn’t have connected while you were here. Best of luck! DE

• sandiego

September 3, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Spigelian hernia?

Thanks DE

I wish I could see you for consultation .BTW I am from Amherst ,Ma. I was just there for a couple months too!

Thanks for all your help!

• sandiego

September 3, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Spigelian hernia?

Thanks Dr Towfigh

Hopefully I can request to see Jaclyn Parker.

Would she be the best for actual hernia exam? Do you know how long she has been doing lap hernia surgery?

Thanks!

• Chaunce1234

September 3, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Spigelian hernia?

Make sure you bring the MRI images and report. And make sure the disc works in your computer. Good luck! DE

• sandiego

September 3, 2015 at 3:37 am

Spigelian hernia?

I requested Kaiser to take a second look at the MRI.

The original radiologist and another one both said no spigelian hernias were found. I really am very surprised as to me the images seem like the transverse muscle appears like a hernia to me but I am not a radiologist! 😆

My Dr has however referred me to a general surgeon and I have asked for an ultrasound with “valsalva” and hope they will do this test and and a hernia exam. The problem is although I feel the bulging all the time it rarely shows a bulge .

Sometimes when I lay down it bulges out breifly for seconds and then its gone but never at the Doctors office.One time it did not reduce for several minutes but only once that happened.

Anything I should know/do or request for the appointment ?

Thanks!

• sandiego

August 29, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Spigelian hernia?

Thanks Dr Towfigh!

I really appreciate the Kaiser referral! I was really hoping there was someone in San Diego Kaiser system that does laparoscopy hernia repair!

• drtowfigh

August 29, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Spigelian hernia?

Abdominal wall hernias and groin hernias can cause back pain. When they are fixed, the back pain can go away if it was due to the hernia.

A Spigelian hernia is a very specific type of hernia. Most general surgeons are knowledgeable about what it is, though they may not readily diagnose it as it is a rare type of hernia. At Kaiser in San Diego, seek consultation with Dr Jaclyn Parker. She is a general surgeon with excellent laparoscopic and hernia experience that trained with us prior to moving to San Diego.

Films, including MRIs, can be misread, especially for hernias. It is important to see all the images and in high definition in order correctly identify the findings you mention.

• sandiego

August 28, 2015 at 2:01 am

Spigelian hernia?

Thanks for your help DE!

I have 2 more questions.

Do you know if Spigelian hernias can cause pain at the side,right at the waist ? And can they refer pain to the back?

• Chaunce1234

August 25, 2015 at 10:43 am

Spigelian hernia?

Those are great questions for your surgeon if and when the time comes. Can’t just “check” for lumbar hernias in the operating room, so should make sure the radiologist comments on that area when reviewing the MRI. Usually lying flat on back for Spigeluan repair. Hope this helps!

• sandiego

August 25, 2015 at 3:21 am

Spigelian hernia?

Thanks DE!

I will ask Kaiser to take a second look.

I also feel like I may have lumbar hernias because I have the same burning,bulging and nerve pain in my back,under the 12th rib. Also a feeling of pushing of my intestines into the back just like I do in the front.

When you go in laparoscopically for a Spigelian hernia is it possible to have a look around to the back and look for lumbar hernias? Or is that not possible? Are you on your side position for Spigelian hernia surgery?

• Chaunce1234

August 24, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Spigelian hernia?

You should be able to get another opinion from Kaiser, and specifically ask if they looked for a Spigelian hernia. “Normal” does not mean that there is not a Spigelian hernia. The lower images would be more helpful. Probably series 12, images 69-79.

• sandiego

August 24, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Spigelian hernia?

Thanks so much for the reply DR Earle!

Thats the second time Ive heard Dr Jacobsens name for a referral!

Unfortunetly I have Kaiser insurance and they have already said the MRI is normal . I was thinking about hiring a second opinion radiologist to confirm the hernia/s.

Heres another picture if that helps.

• Chaunce1234

August 24, 2015 at 11:23 am

Spigelian hernia?

Sharon – Indeed the image (070, series 12 in the upper right corner) you have shown looks like a Spigelian hernia. I can’t tell for sure due to the inability to see the whole scan. Sounds like you would clearly benefit from a more complete evaluation by a general surgeon interested in hernia repair. You can find one on the Americas Hernia Society website. Just type in the state and click search. If you’re in San Diego, Garth Jacobsen and Santiago Horgan at UCSD would be good choices. Mention your referral from Hernia Talk, and feel free to use my name as well. Be sure to bring a copy of the scan and the report to the surgeon. I would typically approach these laparoscopically, and use an intraperitoneal mesh for repair. Hope this helps! DE

• sandiego

August 24, 2015 at 12:10 am

Spigelian hernia?

Another shot……..note the R side muscle and fat/or intestine( not sure what that is!) intertwined.