News Feed Discussions Spigelian post op pain 6 months on

• Spigelian post op pain 6 months on

Posted by Spiggal on February 5, 2018 at 11:45 pm

6 months after my spigelian (left) hernia surgery I still suffer pain/pressure/pulsing. I’m surgeon told me I have mesh with plastic tacks approx 1cm apart around the mesh the size of my palm and another ring of tacks in the centre of the mesh.
    I feel my symptoms are worse if my bowels are full and if I eat a heavy meal. Sometimes I have pain for no obvious reasons.
    My surgeon has told me the tacks can take 6-8months t dissolve and I’m experiencing a common complication. And that when the tacks dissolve it should improve.
    An ultra scan revealed that the mesh is in place still and not touch although close to the bowel and yet. Know it’s bowel related pain sometimes.
    I feel my consultant is not listening to my symptoms and when they come and I was considering getting another opinion or do they really take so long to dissolve and should I still be in so much discomfort 6months on?

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

February 18, 2018 at 4:08 am

The type of pain you describe is seen with hernia repairs that may be too tightly repaired or if you have too many tacks (they can cause muscle spasm). The absorbable tacks take at least 6-8 months to dissolve. Most take longer. If the mesh is tightly placed, and that is the problem, then sometimes your body will accommodate, but at times it won’t.

For some of my patients, I inject local anesthetic between the mesh and the abdominal wall. In more severe cases, I inject Botox, to relax the muscle as it accommodates for the repair.