News Feed Discussions Sports Hernia

• Sports Hernia

Posted by kgallen on August 2, 2014 at 1:33 am

I have had pain in my groin for a year and a half. I had an open inguinal hernia repair in January 2014 and 2 weeks ago had a laparoscopic
    procedure for a rectus abdominis tear considered a sports hernia. I am still experiencing the same pain I did before both surgeries. The pain consists of a pulling feeling in the crease of my leg, tightness in my thigh, and sometimes burning in the labia area. I can hardly do anything without needing to sit on an icepack. Prior to being diagnosed with these hernias, I had chronic constipation and I felt alot of pelvic discomfort right before my cycle started, this promoted my gynecologist to run tests and eventually do a laparoscopy. He said I had adhesions on my fallopian tubes and removed them. After that first laparoscopic procedure I felt the pulling feeling in the crease of my leg, but it didn’t debilitate me, the doctor just told me to give it time. Eight months later I woke with severe pain in my groin and began seeing a list of doctors. So now that I have had the second hernia repair and am feeling no relief, is it possible there are other hernias, or just maybe a nerve is entrapped? Dr. Alan Schuricht did the recent surgery and he is believed to be one of the best in the Pennsylvania area. I am losing hope. I really want to be able to relieve this pain and discomfort.

kgallen replied 9 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

August 5, 2014 at 1:00 am

Sports Hernia

I don’t recommend a repeat MRI. The athletic portico I presume involved a dynamic views, Valsalva (pressing out). That should show it. Youaybwant to consider it be re-read looking specifically for a femoral hernia. It is easier to have your physician request that.

I am sorry I cannot reach out and examine you to provide more help.

• kgallen

August 5, 2014 at 12:14 am

Sports Hernia

I had an ultrasound to check for a femoral hernia before I had either hernia operation. Although, I agree that maybe I should have been put in different positions or standing to get a better read.The inguinal hernia was seen by my gynecologist when my fallopian tubes were removed, although he listed in the report that it was insignificant. I believe now that it was more significant than anyone realized, especially because my gastroenterologist couldn’t find any reason why I was so constipated. I actually had 3 surgeries: Laparoscopy-removal of fallopian tubes – Feb. 2012, Open Surgery -Inguinal Hernia Repair – Jan. 2014, and Larascopy – Sports Hernia Repair – July 2014. The last diagnostic test I had was an MRI with an athletic protocol, and I am by no means an athlete. The report read a rectus abdominis tear at the apouneurotic plate. (Sorry for the spelling.) I also have had a few nerve blocks with no relief. I will try the MRI you suggested. It has been 3 weeks since my last surgery and I am still experiencing the same pain. Do I need to give the recovery more time or am right to think there is more going on? Thank you for trying to help me.

• drtowfigh

August 4, 2014 at 4:14 am

Sports Hernia

Your situation is a bit complicated, as your symptoms may be due to an inguinal or femoral hernia, yet I trust that you had a bonafide, high quality hernia repair each time.

Here are some thoughts:
    – is it possible you have had a femoral hernia that has been missed with both operations? Read your operative report from the laparoscopy to see if your surgeon looked for and confirmed/denied the presence of a femoral hernia.
    – not sure what to make of the sports hernia diagnosis. This term is often misused. A true sports hernia doesn’t occur in most women, unless you’re a bodybuilder or professional athlete. It is a tear where the muscle actually pulls off a piece of bone/periosteum. You may have had a tear in your rectus muscle, but that would typically require some sort of trauma and it is not a true hernia. They usually heal without an operation. What second operation was actually performed?

My gut feeling says you have a missed femoral hernia/inguinal hernia recurrence. That would be an easy fix. Alternatively, if it’s a pure nerve issue, your story does not fit, because it would not be similar to your preoperative pain.

I would recommend imaging of the pelvis (MRI pelvis soft tissue with Valsalva) and evaluation of your operative reports as part of the detective work to see exactly what was seen and what was done.