News Feed Discussions Study: Open inguinal repair w self gripping mesh, interesting pain outcomes.

• Study: Open inguinal repair w self gripping mesh, interesting pain outcomes.

Posted by Herniahelper on October 15, 2021 at 12:40 am

I found this interesting not because of the novel mesh used but because it involved a very common Lichtenstein approach and reported pain/ neuralgia problems in around 50% of patients in all but one persons hands. Reoccurrence rates were the typical 1-3% upon with the success of this method was founded.

The numbers are somewhat alarming although it doesn’t quantify well how debilitating these outcomes were.

Really puts a spotlight on pain being as Critical an outcome as reoccurrence.

Outcome of open inguinal hernia repair using sutureless self-gripping mesh – a retrospective single cohort study

https://smw.ch/article/doi/smw.2021.20455

saro replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • saro

October 15, 2021 at 9:24 am

I am reminded of two tendentious questions whether it is true that the Liectenstein operation is really the gold standard or, as some supporters of minimal repair argue, a more invasive operation for the nerves. second question: from this study it emerges that only one patient was treated with local anesthesia (unfortunately there is no data related to the outcomes based on anesthesia) .. I have read, albeit occasionally, that the prevalence of chronic pain has been related to various causes, including age, pre-operative pain, but also the type of anesthesia … obviously I refer elements taken from targeted follow-ups, now on anesthesia, sometimes on the procedure

• Alephy

October 15, 2021 at 1:13 am

My takeaway from this is that the Chief Surgeon was probably taught proper anatomy when he or she was a student, and learnt to properly discern the tissues/nerves etc in the area.

The younger surgeons were probably taught a simplified curriculum with the idea that using mesh would not require more….

What will happen in the years to come?