News Feed Discussions Suture only procedure

• Suture only procedure

Posted by Alephy on January 6, 2020 at 3:12 pm

Hi All,

I have been diagnosed with a right inguinal hernia 3 weeks ago (ultrasound positive). Bulge not big and will have a CT scan and discussion with surgeon next month.
    Anyone ever considered suture only for your hernia? I had a similar one for my umbilical hernia 16 years ago(small, only fat) so I hope it can be done again.
    Do surgeons tend to not go off path these days which is why they would not do it, or is it just that it is rarely applicable? I am aware of higher recurrence and longer rehab.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Alex

Alephy replied 4 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Alephy

January 9, 2020 at 7:13 am

BTW I read a post from Dr. Kang in this forum with this excerpt:

‘Some think that Marcy repair is for children. In most hernia repair surgeries for children, only high ligation of hernia sac is administered. However, Marcy repair additionally closes the deep inguinal ring after administering high ligation of the hernia sac. (The high ligation of the hernia sac is a mandatory process of all existing surgery methods conducted when repairing indirect inguinal hernia.) Thus, Marcy repair is an indirect inguinal hernia repair method for adults. As far as I know, the recurrence rate of Marcy repair is very low (1~2%), once it is accurately administered. However, it is my understanding that there are not so many doctors who are used to this surgery method. Thus, when administered by inexperienced hands, the recurrence rate of Marcy repair would naturally increase.

Would other doctors agree? So Marcy (provided your surgeon can do it) would be a viable option for an indirect hernia for adults too?

• Alephy

January 7, 2020 at 8:15 pm

I am still hoping mine is indirect and small..I would be willing to take the risk of recurrence any way…

• Markie

January 7, 2020 at 7:14 pm

A few hourse ago I typed a long post I haven’t seen it posted yet. How long does it take for the post to appear?

• drtowfigh

January 7, 2020 at 5:21 pm

You are describing a Marcy repair, which is just closure of the hole, let’s say with one stitch, and that’s it.
    That only works for:
    1. small hernias AND
    2. indirect inguinal hernias AND
    3. usually for women and children

Otherwise, the recurrence rate is too high. That is why we have Shouldice, Bassini, McVay, etc., other better options for most patients, especially men.

• Alephy

January 7, 2020 at 3:22 pm

Yes sorry I meant a suture only hernia repair without reconstruction of any sort do no pasty part

• drtowfigh

January 7, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Herniorrhaphy means hernia repair.

• Alephy

January 7, 2020 at 8:43 am

Also with a herniorrhaphy? Thanks again

• drtowfigh

January 6, 2020 at 11:23 pm

There are many different suture techniques available.

• drtowfigh

January 6, 2020 at 11:22 pm

You should be empowered to query your surgeon about all the options and whether he/she is skilled/experienced in offering them. Sometimes, surgeons only offer what they are comfortable performing. You don’t want to push that surgeon to perform an operation he/she doesnt know how to perform, but it is good to know whether they are recommending a certain option because that is how they do it or because they are tailoring that recommendation to your specific need.

• Alephy

January 6, 2020 at 5:54 pm

BTW by “suture only” I meant the one procedure that is normally reserved for children, i.e. no mesh and no wall reconstruction/reinforcement….just suturing together the hole…can this procedure also be done laparoscopic, or is this an open procedure only? (thanks and sorry for the many questions)

• Alephy

January 6, 2020 at 5:34 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer! Is this option one that should be discussed first, or is it really up to the surgeon to bring it forward if at all? (I guess this very much depends on the surgeon/country etc)

• drtowfigh

January 6, 2020 at 5:02 pm

All options are available. It depends on your risk factors, the type and size of your inguinal hernia, and your surgeon’s experience in offering different technique options for repair.