News Feed Discussions The Hidden Danger of Mesh

• The Hidden Danger of Mesh

Posted by pinto on August 23, 2019 at 9:28 am

Although I am relatively well informed about IHs, I was shocked hearing that mesh actually poses serious long-term risk to patients, something I only learned from a law office not from any medical sources:

“Pain and complications may occur years later because of defective mesh or a doctor’s mistakes. …Hernia recurrence …can occur years after your first surgery because the hernia mesh failed. Hernias can come back because the mesh migrated, was rejected, or was simply defective. …Studies have shown that certain mesh materials are more likely to cause rejection as well as the size of the ‘pores’ or holes in the mesh. Rejection of a hernia mesh implant can cause infection and the possible need for surgical removal.”
    https://www.shouselaw.com/herniamesh/injuries/delayed_long-term_complications.html#2.4

Time and time again I was told by medical sources that mesh is superior to pure tissue repair because the latter has higher recurrence. Without further information, we will likely assume “all things being equal,” mesh is the way to go. But if the above law firm’s statement is factual, then why choose mesh? Put a time bomb in your body?

Granting that superior mesh surgeons might counter medical mistakes, something they cannot counter are the unknowns about mesh materials. Already various mesh have been withdrawn from the market by their manufacturers. Presumably many cases due to some defect or design flaw. Moreover, extensive long-term studies testing the viability of mesh have yet been done. How is it that practically the entire medical field became wedded to mesh? Mesh has yet been perfected but is routinely used. Some mesh patients have ended up in wheelchairs, mesh complications can be so debilitating.

Anyway for me, the prospect of future complications from mesh make attractive pure tissue repair.

UhOh! replied 4 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • UhOh!

August 24, 2019 at 2:37 am
    quote pinto:

[USER=”1391″]UhOh![/USER], it seems that docs move the goal posts! I am floored when doctors tell patients in extreme pain 6 mos. post-op that the pain is expected. Or when doctors tell these patients that their pain is impossible. It is egregious particularly with docs who are blind to corporate blunder. Granted that some patient complaints may be groundless, nevertheless other complaints are real. As long as imperfect mesh is considered the ‘gold’ standard, hardly will there be much advancement in our lifetimes.

But that’s my point: as long as recurrence is the only measure of success, every surgeon out there will continue telling patients (and believing themselves) that mesh leads to more “successful” outcomes. This is especially true in a world transitioning to value-based care (vs. fee for service) where a surgeon risks not getting reimbursed by a patient’s insurance company for a “failed” procedure (in this case, a recurrent hernia).

• pinto

August 23, 2019 at 11:03 pm

[USER=”1391″]UhOh![/USER], it seems that docs move the goal posts! I am floored when doctors tell patients in extreme pain 6 mos. post-op that the pain is expected. Or when doctors tell these patients that their pain is impossible. It is egregious particularly with docs who are blind to corporate blunder. Granted that some patient complaints may be groundless, nevertheless other complaints are real. As long as imperfect mesh is considered the ‘gold’ standard, hardly will there be much advancement in our lifetimes.

• MeshMangledMerritt

August 23, 2019 at 9:34 pm
    quote pinto:

Sorry to hear about your circumstance. A complete sin I think how your surgeon gave you what seems is a runaround. Telling you your pain was impossible precluded any redress. Probably a ruse to cover his incompetence. I hope you get your justice.

Interestingly, Johnson & Johnson was pointed out by a general surgeon I spoke with as if I should be assured about the mesh he used for his surgeries. Scary that such doctors would apparently be so naive.

This case of J&J is just the tip of the iceberg not only because of such court cases but also negotiated settlements made by manufacturers to avoid the court, such as with C. R. Bard’s settlement of $184 million made in 2011. Given the potential long-term risks of mesh and the millions of surgeries made each year, we are sure to hear more and more of these litigations. If you haven’t sought legal counsel, you should in case you qualify for one of the many class action suits I suppose are already brewing.

I’ve been looking around online for one involving the Prolene Ethicon J&J mesh in the California area but so far I seem to only find ambulance chasers. Gonna keep looking though

• UhOh!

August 23, 2019 at 9:21 pm

The big (philosophical) problem here is in defining a “successful” surgery. As far as I know, the only metric used officially is recurrence rate, and by that metric, mesh has demonstrated superiority overall. Until that changes, it will continue to be the unquestioned standard.

• patient

August 23, 2019 at 6:18 pm

Thanks for your good notes [USER=”2804″]pinto[/USER] !

I haven’t had my operation for inguinal hernia on both sides yet but I went to 3 doctors and they are happy to use mesh with me, when I asked about the consequences they say it is really rare something wrong happens however if you accept you must sign some documents confirming you know the complications and then you can not take any legal actions, and they can continue using mesh.

On note aside, it seems the medical field have changed drastically during the couple of years, before we were patients and they really cared about us but now we are just money for them, doctors now only want to save time and money, they also receive some gifts or money from the mesh manufacturers.

Now the problem is that no-mesh repairs are no taught anymore in college, I also heard the problem with no-mesh repair is the high risk of recurrence.

Hopefully one day new studies or solution will come to all of us (herniators)

• pinto

August 23, 2019 at 11:19 am

Sorry to hear about your circumstance. A complete sin I think how your surgeon gave you what seems is a runaround. Telling you your pain was impossible precluded any redress. Probably a ruse to cover his incompetence. I hope you get your justice.

Interestingly, Johnson & Johnson was pointed out by a general surgeon I spoke with as if I should be assured about the mesh he used for his surgeries. Scary that such doctors would apparently be so naive.

This case of J&J is just the tip of the iceberg not only because of such court cases but also negotiated settlements made by manufacturers to avoid the court, such as with C. R. Bard’s settlement of $184 million made in 2011. Given the potential long-term risks of mesh and the millions of surgeries made each year, we are sure to hear more and more of these litigations. If you haven’t sought legal counsel, you should in case you qualify for one of the many class action suits I suppose are already brewing.

• MeshMangledMerritt

August 23, 2019 at 9:52 am

Here’s some more for you to look over

https://www.masstortnexus.com/mass-t…plant-verdict/

This is similar mesh I’ve had in me for 15 years mine is prolene mesh. I’m hoping one day soon I can not only get better but get justice for losing out on the best years of my life 21-36, the loss of my military career and all the pain and suffering I’ve had to endure.