News Feed Discussions Tight penile suspensory ligament after inguinal hernia surgery?

• Tight penile suspensory ligament after inguinal hernia surgery?

Posted by Browncow on January 15, 2016 at 5:11 am

About a month ago I had open hernia surgery with mesh for an inguinal hernia. Surgery was on the right hand side.
    My recovery actually went very well, and was off the strong pain killers after only 4 days.

My partner and I haven’t had sex since the surgery, but I have masturbated a few times since, and have had no issue getting an erection or ejaculating.

However, yesterday when hard, I noticed that I could feel and see what looked like a tight strand under the skin running from just above the base of my penis and into my lower abdomen.

If I keep my penis facing upwards (vertical) it is less noticeable and there is no tension or pain. But if push my penis away from my body just a little the stand cleary pushes on my skin and even lifts part of my skin up. I haven’t tested how far I can push my penis down as I do not want to cause any damage and the string seems very taught and tight.

I have self diagnosed a tight penile suspensory ligament, but I am confused as to how this has happened and it was not evident before surgery.

Has anybody else had a similar issue after hernia surgery?
    Could it have been caused during the surgery?

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Read more: Penile suspensory ligament tight after inguinal hernia surgery. – Hernia Forum – eHealthForum http://ehealthforum.com/health/penile-suspensory-ligament-tight-after-inguinal-hernia-surgery-t468186.html#ixzz3xHq9aNS5
    Follow us: @ehealthforums on Twitter

drtowfigh replied 8 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

January 17, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Tight penile suspensory ligament after inguinal hernia surgery?

It sounds like you have what we refer to as a “healing ridge.” All patients have this after open hernia surgery of the groin. It is a thick palpable linear mass under the incision. It is a side effect of scar tissue and swelling after closing the underlying tissue in multiple layers and is normal. And it goes away with time in all patients. It may take 6-8 weeks.

There is no such thing as a tight suspensory ligament of the penis and no penile injury is possible with the open inguinal approach. The organs and tissues are just not anywhere near where the hernia repair is performed.

I’m glad you wrote to us, or I would suggest you seek consultation directly with your surgeon rather than relying on the Internet to self-diagnose. It often leads you astray and confuses you more.