News Feed Discussions Tingling in the leg and foot

• Tingling in the leg and foot

Posted by SomeGreyBIoke on April 15, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Hello,

I have been recently diagnosed with inguinal hernia, and although have not got any visible bulging, I am in fair bit of sharp and stabbing pain and a lot of discomfort in the femoral area. Quite recently, I have also started experiencing pins and needles all over my leg and foot, especially heel and sole. I will be seeing my doc on Tuesday again, want to decide for an operation, but wondered if anyone else experienced similar problems with their hernia? Did they resolve after the operation? Which operation should I go for? Laprascopic or open?

Many thanks in advance for any replies

SomeGreyBIoke replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • SomeGreyBIoke

April 17, 2018 at 6:08 pm

I have a small inguinal hernia around 1cm. Doc said that small hernias can be more troublesome sometimes compared to the larger ones. He scheduled me for a CT scan of spine as well to rule out anything else. Good luck Lucky, hope you get your answer soon

• Lucky46

April 17, 2018 at 1:57 pm
    quote SomeGreyBIoke:

Yes Lucky, same thing. I’m OK when I am lying down, as soon as I start walking, tingling returns. I also am getting pains all down to my foot. It must be hernia related as never had this problem before. I’m going to see my doctor tomorrow, will discuss it with him

Best of luck to you on your outcome.

• Lucky46

April 17, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Please excuse my spelling.Spell check is going haywire lol.

• Lucky46

April 17, 2018 at 1:54 pm

The pin and needle pains are also in my left and right inguinal incision areas as well.Very little on the surface when it is in the incision areas it is deep. As I said before I can get a prick on the top of my foot and a second later it is in the incision area(s). I did not have any of this before the reocurrant symptoms….only after did the pins and needles start up.

Also, before my surgery I never had the symptoms.I have read on many forums of people with inguinal hernias that have the pin and needles in their legs.

I do from time to time get them on the hand or arm.Very little but once in a great while.

• SomeGreyBIoke

April 17, 2018 at 7:13 am

Hi Chaunce I had a ultrasound done, which confirmed a small hernia near my groin area on the right side. It is not really visible, as I have not got a bulge. Before that I were in above the average fitness, running and cycling regularly, and I can only assume this is what brought it on as on occasion I over exercised.

I have had orchiectomy on left testicle back in January, and seems like my issues started since then. I’m no medical expert or claim to have extensive knowledge in this field, but looking at diagrams and pictures on google, there is a femoral nerve in that area which extends all the way to the foot. My theory is that hernia must be pressing on that nerve. I woke up today and feeling as if I were 100% fine, but it usually gets worse throughout the day. Just want my old life back 🙁

• Chaunce1234

April 17, 2018 at 1:16 am

Just wondering but how were you diagnosed with a hernia? Were you given an ultrasound of groin or was there a positive palpation during the standard cough test? Is it inguinal or femoral? Are you an athletic fit person or more average body type? Was there a particular event that caused the hernia/pain or was it gradual?

Almost every doctor will tell you that groin/pelvic pain is not related to pain felt in the leg or foot because the nerve does not extend that far down, but interestingly enough you will often read patient reports of having groin/pelvic pain along with foot pain.

Pain is known to radiate, and nerves can behave strangely. A common example of radiating pain is some patients who have heart attacks report pain in their arm, or jaw. Perhaps there is a similar mechanism with some cases of groin/pelvic pain, where it’s radiated or interpreted by the brain to be in the foot, or leg, but this is pure speculation on my part, as I am not a doctor. Another theoretical possibility is that the groin/pelvic pain causes guarding or a change in gait or abdominal and pelvic muscle usage, which could cause some indirect nuisance to another nerve or muscle group, kind of like how a lot of desk workers end up with neck or back pain from prolonged sitting.

In terms of the operation, that’s something you will want to decide after having a consultation with a surgeon (or two), and you can do your own research as well which is never a bad thing to be a more informed patient. Be aware much of what you will find on the internet is negative, and fearful, perhaps because people don’t generally rave about a good surgical experience, but people often will give voice to a bad experience. Most hernia repairs go fine and without incident, but the risk of chronic pain is arguably the most important thing to consider. Also consider your age, activity level, and general fitness, as athletic and thin patients sometimes seek out different options than people who are more sedentary.

• SomeGreyBIoke

April 16, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Yes Lucky, same thing. I’m OK when I am lying down, as soon as I start walking, tingling returns. I also am getting pains all down to my foot. It must be hernia related as never had this problem before. I’m going to see my doctor tomorrow, will discuss it with him

• Lucky46

April 16, 2018 at 6:32 pm

I have a thread on here call Pin Prick Sensation.Read that and let me know what you think.But my symptoms are recurrent type symptoms.I have already had repair with mesh.I am very curious what you find out.