News Feed Discussions Tissue repair tightness….Mike M Pinto? Mark T

• Tissue repair tightness….Mike M Pinto? Mark T

Posted by Unknown Member on May 25, 2023 at 6:38 pm

So all the mesh surgeons i consulted told me tissue repairs were a high probability for pain and recurrance…and all said tissue repairs are tight….what ever that means. Bruce Rosenburg told me that its very typical for a shouldice patient to have tightness after the repair for a year maybe more….Dr Towfigh says shouldice is too tight…so she prefers other tailored repairs. Its really difficult to get any clarity here. Mark T had two shouldice repairs..and doesnt complain about tightness. Mike m suggested tightness was an issue with the kang repair initially. But it got better….i found the blog of a shouldice patient who was having tightness issues going on three years. I think we can defer to our friend Watchful for the best opinion here…Watchful as i understand your analysis….Shouldice is the safest tissue repair –the most well established…but its invasive…maybe less so if performed by the German surgeons. The Kang repair is less invasive…but also more likely to recur with time….less issues with chronic pain…Marc Tucker told me his friend went to peterson…and feels tightness years after his shouldice repair. Tomas interviews some patient who researched shouldice and found that many patients complain about tightness and the loss of flexibility…I am hoping my hernia will not recur…but still torn about who to see if it does…I know i will seek an immediate repair rather than waiting. FWIW i have not interviewed 50 guys who had simple lichtenstein repairs….none went to any expert…they all said they had the repair….and felt some minor pain for about a week. I cant help but wonder if a well done lichtenstien repair isnt the best—no tension…low recurrance…low risk of chronic pain based on my own survey….it seems like most of the docs attacking the lichtenstien…are lap surgeons…no one would do lap surgery unless they were given a long sales pitch

Freeman replied 11 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Freeman

May 27, 2023 at 2:13 am

As I mentioned in previous posts I had a Shouldice surgery in 13 th april ( Dr Wiese in Germany) and I can testify that I don’t have any sensation of tightness or tugging . The surgeon had stitched the groin incision with absorbable sutures. Otherwise it was a classical shouldice repair. I am in better condition than ever .

• Mike M

May 26, 2023 at 11:19 pm

@chuck I had significant tension for the first two weeks. Stephen and Dr. Kang said it would resolve on its own and it did resolve after a month? I wasn’t too worried about it. The only thing I couldn’t do because of it within the first two weeks to four weeks was stand up for long periods of time or run. I cannot detect any tension now and can stand just like before my hernia and run full speed again without any issues.

I have been at the Orlando parks all this week doing +-G rollercoasters, standing, walking all day, no issues at all. I have been walking around 5-7 miles per day and standing for hours for the last two weeks.

• drtowfigh

May 26, 2023 at 7:28 am

Does not.

• Watchful

May 26, 2023 at 7:01 am

Such relaxing incisions reduce tightness, but do they cause other issues? Seems like additional injury which could potentially cause its own trouble.

• drtowfigh

May 26, 2023 at 12:53 am

To clarify: tissue repairs are always tighter than mesh based repairs, by definition. But there are fascial releases that can be performed to help with this.

I have not singled out the Shouldice. Also, I tailor the repair to the needs of a patient. For most who would benefit from a tissue based repair, I recommend and perform the Shouldice. But I also offer the McVay, Bassini, Marcy and Nyhus repairs.

• pinto

May 25, 2023 at 10:47 pm

@Chuck says “The Kang repair is … more likely to recur with time….”

Of course your statement is an opinion, a supposition. Do you any empirical study to support it?