News Feed Discussions To Dr. Towfigh regarding Bladder

• To Dr. Towfigh regarding Bladder

Posted by Steelersfan85 on September 8, 2020 at 9:43 pm

Hey Dr. Towfigh I’ve been having pain with urination after a left inguinal hernia repair I had done back in 2016. I felt the pain instantly on my right side as if something has been knicked

Do you think this goes hand in hand with a CT Urogram I had done back in 2018? The findings where “Postsurgical changes in the right groin with the urinary bladder extending towards the postsurgical change with some minor scarring and retraction of the bladder”? I had a urodynamics study done by a urologist and this is what he found below…

*Small capacity bladder with sensory urgency.
    *Normal voiding.
    *Large after contraction causing pain mimicing patient chief complaint.
    *Mild tenting of the bladder dome on the left side towards the surgical changes in the inguinal hernia repair.
    *2 void contractions and there’s a second strong bladder contraction after the initial bladder contraction.

Can you tell me your thoughts on this? When I urinate I feel as if my urinary system isn’t working properly even though all my urinalysis is negative.

• This discussion was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  drtowfigh.
    drtowfigh replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

September 23, 2020 at 8:32 am

Surgery has risks. If you had a gastric bypass or a colon resection or a gallbladder operation, they all have a long list of potential complications.

The chances of the bladder being involved in the repair is not among the commonly noted complications, but it can and does happen.

• Alexander

September 23, 2020 at 6:57 am

Dr. Towfigh,

How often does this happen with the mesh interfering with the bladder? Does something like this happen more often in a laprascopic inguinal hernia repair or an open mesh repair? It just seems like there are so many potential issues with mesh – add this one to the list.

• drtowfigh

September 22, 2020 at 7:25 pm

In some situations, the mesh either touches the bladder too closely or is intimately involved with the bladder and this can cause bladder pain, especially with full bladder, with urinary urgency. Also, sometimes, depending on the technique, the bladder is scarred over toward the hernia repair, and this can cause pain with full bladder.

In those situations, surgical release of the bladder adherence off the mesh can help.