News Feed Discussions Triple Neurectomies

• Triple Neurectomies

Posted by Mesh on February 1, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Dr. Towfigh

Will the iliohypogatsric, genitofemerol and ilioinguinal nerves grow back after resection?
    Do any of these nerves have motory function?
    I believe I heard from Dr Chen that one of them might not just be sensory?
    What’s the benefit of burying the nerve ending in the muscle? What if they were not buried?
    Pardon any spelling errors.

Thank you.

Anthony

jnich74 replied 8 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 9, 2016 at 7:05 am

Triple Neurectomies

Nerves grow back at a very slow rate. The purpose of neurectomy is not to have nerves grow back and so a segment of nerve is actually cut out so that they don’t regrow. The proximal cut end is buried into muscle to reduce neuroma formation because muscle is a nice vascular bed free from the scar tissue of the operation. If it’s. It buried, the risk of scar tissue growing into the cut end of the nerve is higher (think tree roots growing into cracks), thus neuroma and pain.

We have learned a lot since we started performing laparoscopic neurectomy. It seemed that the ILIOINGUINAL and iliohypogastric nerves also may have motor nerves. That branch off in the retroperitoneal space, before they inner are the groin.

• jnich74

February 3, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Triple Neurectomies

Hello Dr. I am querying the same thing.
    Do the nerves that are removed/ cut and embedded into muscle grow back?
    Is there any evidence to show if it doesn’t or does?
    What are typical problems, complications, side effects of removing the nerves afterwards.

Thanks much

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    February 1, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Triple Neurectomies

Hello,

Just to throw my two cents in as a patient. The three nerves typically don’t grow back after nerve resection and there will always be some level of numbness that will be permanent.

The only nerve that serves a motor function is the genital branch of the genitofemoral nerve, which supplies the motor function of the cremaster muscle. Once this nerve is resected, the testicle will no longer be able to be pulled up and down.

I believe the purpose of burying the proximal cut end of the nerve into muscle is to prevent any possible future communication with the cut distal end. But Dr. Towfigh can probably explain that one better than I.

Just throwing in my two cents!