News Feed Discussions Tumor found IN my hernia!

• Tumor found IN my hernia!

Posted by essnce629 on February 1, 2019 at 8:17 am

So my no-mesh inguinal hernia repair (Desarda method) with Dr. Burns in Newport Beach on Tuesday went well. Except that he found a walnut sized tumor IN my hernia!!! WTH?!?! He said the tender hard lump that I had been feeling and thinking was an incarcerated hernia was mostly tumor! He sent it to pathology and said he should hear back from them as early as today (Fri) or Mon. When he first told me immediately after surgery all I asked in my half groggy state was if that was common and they said no. Gotta keep things interesting around here I guess! Fingers crossed. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them during their hernia repair surgery? And if so, what was the result? Any doctors on here deal with this before?

Chaunce1234 replied 5 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Chaunce1234

February 12, 2019 at 7:14 pm

[USER=”2778″]essnce629[/USER] That’s great news, and an interesting finding. I wonder how common that is? It sounds rare?

Anyway it sounds like you’re making good progress in your recovery, and that’s excellent to hear. Please continue to keep us updated on your progress!

• essnce629

February 12, 2019 at 8:00 am

Update: The walnut sized tumor they removed from my hernia is BENEIGN!!! It was just some really super weird growth that my body made as a result of the the hernia being inflamed, irritated, etc. It consisted of hypertrophic (out of control growth) cells of the hernia sac. It was NOT a lipoma and took pathology over a week to figure out. Dr. Burns will send me the full pathology report once he gets it (he had just spoken to the pathologist on the phone the day off my followup).

Tomorrow will be 14 days post op. I felt much better at the 1 week mark and started driving again then. The burning subsided after about a week. After driving I sometimes feel a little stiff with a dull ache but its getting better every day. My steri strips came off yesterday and the incision is healing well. There’s the raised ridge where the incision is and the area is still a little tender to the touch in some areas, while a little numb in other areas. I still have a little swelling. Everything appears to be healing well. I still used my ice pack when laying down but I’m using it less and less each day. I’m trying to take it as easy as possible.

• Chaunce1234

February 6, 2019 at 7:11 pm

[USER=”2778″]essnce629[/USER] How are you doing now? Any updates on your recovery or findings? Thanks for sharing your experience.

• dog

February 4, 2019 at 7:36 pm

Thank you dear essnce629

• essnce629

February 4, 2019 at 7:56 am
    quote dog:

How is your recovery ?

Today is day 5 post op. Recovery appears to be going as it should. I still have a lot of burning pain around the incision site when up and about, so I’m trying to take it easy and keep an ice pack on the area as much as possible, including while sleeping. I’ve also had lower back pain so I’m using a heating pad on my back whenever I’m sitting or laying down. Initially, the area around the incision would start burning as soon as I’d start walking around, but today it was about an hour of me walking around the house before the burning kicked in. I’m still taking the pain meds (Toradol 10mg) every 6 hours around the clock although I just finished the bottle today and will move on to Ibuprofen. I have been taking arnica homeopathic tablets 4 times a day and using arnica cream around the incision site as well. I’ve had zero bruising, although I do have some very minimal swelling and tenderness around the area. The incision is still covered by the steri strips until my followup appointment with Dr. Burns on Thursday. I haven’t driven yet and definitely don’t feel ready, so I have extended my help with getting my kids to and from school through Tuesday. That will be the one week mark and I’m hoping I’ll be able to drive by Wednesday, especially since I need to be able to drive back down to Newport Beach (1.5 hours each way) to my followup appointment on Thursday. I didn’t hear back from pathology on Friday, so I’m hoping I’ll be hearing tomorrow (Monday).

• dog

February 4, 2019 at 5:24 am

Please let us know ,how are you ..how you feel..we hope like dr Towfigh said ….it just minor. How is your recovery ?

• drtowfigh

February 2, 2019 at 5:44 pm

Hopefully it’s a benign fatty lipoma. That’s very common. Pathology will confirm.