News Feed Discussions Umbilical hernia post-op questions.

• Umbilical hernia post-op questions.

Posted by dh305 on November 9, 2019 at 3:54 pm

I don’t see much on this forum about umbilical hernia repairs.

I had one done as part of my inguinal hernia repairs 5 months ago. My surgeon saw an “imperfection“ and basically threw it in to take care of it as part of the surgery. Thought it made sense at the time, but in retrospect, wish I did not do it as I had no issues.

Nevertheless, it was done and now I still feel some discomfort a little above my belly button. Feels sore. Mostly, it is when I am getting into and out of bed or sitting up for a long time at work

is it still within the “normal” time to feel this discomfort? Do umbilical hernia repairs take longer to heal than others?

dh305 replied 4 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • dh305

November 10, 2019 at 1:46 pm

Thanks for your information. Really appreciate it. Glad you recovered well. Hoping that magical 6 month benchmark kicks in for me too.

• localCivilian

November 10, 2019 at 8:49 am

Had an umbilical hernia repaired myself, laparoscopically with mesh (seven months ago). Discomfort in the area is very normal. I had noticeable discomfort for about four to five months, but once six months it reduced drastically. I still feel it here and there but it’s only in certain instances or when I really think about it. At this point I find myself or getting I had it repaired.

Patience is key.

• dh305

November 9, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Thanks, Dr. Towfigh.
    The discomfort is mid-abdomen to the belly button. Not sure that’s the repair site?

normally, I would just feel it getting in and out of bed. This week felt it sitting up and got kind of sore.

Nothing that interferes with my life, but just weird that all of the sudden it became noticeable much more so than usual.

Thanks for your insight!

• drtowfigh

November 9, 2019 at 6:47 pm

A little tugging at the repair, especially within the first year, may be normal. If it’s not affecting your ability to perform normal daily activities, then usually not necessary to worry. If any more concerns. I would seek an examination by your surgeon.

• dh305

November 9, 2019 at 6:43 pm

I’m embarrassed to say that I do not have any more information than that.

The surgeon who handled it is a very accomplished guy and the head of surgery at a big hospital and I considered myself lucky that he was even handling such a “routine“ procedure.

• dh305

November 9, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Yes Dr Brown. Mesh was used.

• DrBrown

November 9, 2019 at 6:02 pm

[USER=”2987″]dh305[/USER]
    How was the hernia repaired? Did your surgeon use mesh?
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD