News Feed Discussions Ventral incisional hernia

• Ventral incisional hernia

Posted by Zinta on October 11, 2015 at 3:58 pm

I have a back fusion in 2010, they inserted a cadaver bone through my adbomen, which cause me to have a seroma in the area. My problem is one year ago, I felt a tear in the area. Went to the doctor and did not feel a hernia, but there was a tear they finally agree after the radiologist pointed it out on the CT/MRi. I had surgery, they surtured the tear and one year later, I did a “twist” there’s that pain again and a tear. Now, I have seen three doctors because the doctor who surtured the tear retire and does not do “hernia/tear” repairs anymore. I am in angony of pain. This happen in Aug 15 and now it is in October and still NO doctor nor ER, I went to the ER for the pain was in tolerable and no one can help me. One of these doctors told me if I cant feel or see it I CANT HELP YOU! The other one said, “tears will heal on themselves” and nothing has been done. I am in terrible terrible cramping pain…..I finally found one doctor who had me on the table and said, “sit up” and he said he felt it and will do it. I am a little weary because he did not do any tests, just going by what I said. I hope I am doing the right thing. ANY GOOD GENERAL SURGEONS HERE IN THE SAN GABRIEL/INLAND VALLEY THAT UNDERSTANDS VENTRAL INCISIONAL HERNIAS?

drtowfigh replied 8 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

December 19, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Ventral incisional hernia

Hi there!

Please update us

• drtowfigh

October 23, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Consider Dr David Johnson in Palm Springs, Dr David Jones in Pasadena, and Dr Howard Kaufman in Pasadena.

In Los Angeles, I am happy to see you. Also, I recommend Dr David Chen at UcLa.

For recurrent flank hernias off the Pelvic bone, I recommend an open mesh sandwich repair or a laparoscopic/robotic mesh repair.

• Chaunce1234

October 13, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I’m sorry you’re going through this.Sounds like you had a painful incisional hernia that was repaired with a technique (no mesh) that is known to have a high failure rate. Incisional hernia is unfortunately a common problem that is frequently misunderstood by both patients and doctors (including surgeons). There are however many techniques that use mesh that all have relative advantages and disadvantages. Sometimes a physical exam is all you need in order to proceed with an operation, but each case is unique. Best to find a surgeon that has training and experience in multiple techniques in order to pick the best one for you. This process includes identifying what your goals are for the surgery, sorting out you medical history, then choosing a technique that will have the highest likelihood of success for your goals, then choosing a mesh that is appropriate for that technique. You’re goals will be centered around symptom relief, but may also include restoration of a more normal abdominal wall contour if there’s a large bulge, revision of a wide scar, etc. You can find surgeons interested in hernia repair at the Americas Hernia Society website. Hope this helps!