News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Warning Signs of Estrangulated Umbilical Hernia

• Warning Signs of Estrangulated Umbilical Hernia

Posted by NickHWC on February 9, 2024 at 6:51 pm

Hello, everyone. It’s been comforting to read that I am not alone with hernia issues. That being said, I sure am sorry so many are going through it.

I’ve had an umbilical hernia for 5 or 6 years…I’m 45, slightly overweight I suppose. I was advised, like many on these boards, that it was no big deal until it becomes one. My state insurance considers hernia repair cosmetic and won’t cover it, so I’ve just been living with it. If I’m being honest, most of the time I didn’t even notice it.

However, around this past Christmas my wife and I both got a heck of a cough…dealt with it for about 3-4 weeks. Shortly after I noticed a tinge of pain where the hernia is and felt that it was protruding a bit more than usual. Usually I can push it right back in, and I still can, but it takes more effort and sometimes it’s a bit stubborn. Over the last few weeks though, I’ve noticed something new. 3 times now, I’ve had some sharp, sustained pains in the area of the hernia. Usually lasts about 30-45 minutes. I break out into a pretty good sweat each time, especially my face. No fever, but definitely feel hot. Twice it haa happened in the middle of the night, and just today happened in the grocery store, early evening. Took everything I had to get through the checkout line and make it back to my truck. I just put the seat back and let it pass. Each time has left me feeling exhausted. I’ve gone down the Google rabbit hole and have seen just about everything; either I’m dying, it’s something I ate, or somewhere in between. : )

Ther’e been no discolouration of the hernia, no bloody stools, no fever….but has me wondering if what I’m experiencing is the prelude. 7-10 days is roughly how far apart the occurences have been. I’m planning on seeing the doc on Monday, but was curious if this sounded familiar to anyone or if anyone knew what might be in store.

Thanks for your time everyone, and have a lovely weekend.

-Nick

drtowfigh replied 2 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 13, 2024 at 7:59 am

Mesh and non-mesh options should be discussed and you and your surgeon can review what’s best for you.

I assume you’ve had surgery already. Wishing for a rapid recovery.

• NickHWC

February 10, 2024 at 9:51 am

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  NickHWC.
  • drtowfigh

February 9, 2024 at 7:50 pm

Watchful waiting is considered safe for umbilical hernia that are asymptomatic. However, once it is symptomatic, as you are describing, then repair is indicated

• NickHWC

February 10, 2024 at 9:52 am

Thank you for your response. Not looking forward to Monday, as I’m sure you’re spot on. Is Mesh still what’s being used these days? I thought I read in the news a while back that mesh has resulted in a lot of problems with folks later on down the road. Not really sure what to believe though.