News Feed Discussions What can trigger inguinal hernia strangulation?

• What can trigger inguinal hernia strangulation?

Posted by Unknown Member on April 19, 2018 at 10:49 am

Hello to everyone.
    I have inguinal hernia and of course I am most afraid of its strangulation, though I know that chances of this happening aren’t high. I have some questions considering strangulation and would be glad if someone can give professional answers or share his own patient experience.

1) What in most cases triggers strangulation? Lifting something heavy? Or there are other triggers?

2) Can strangulation happen when you simply walk, sit, wash dishes or do something similar, something not very physically active? Is it very rare or many strangulations happen this way?

3) I doesn’t have any visible bulge or lump, only pain in my groin. My surgeon told me that “hernia is almost there”, and it’s only question of short time when it becomes fully visible. I trust his words since he has many years of inguinal hernias surgery diagnosis and repair. But can hernia become strangulated at the same time when it becomes visible (like I see no bulge today and next day I see bulge and its already strangulated)?

W.Parker replied 5 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • W.Parker

April 23, 2018 at 7:33 pm

It make since sort of,the doctor said your hernia is almost there,since the intestine pushes through the canal making it larger until the intestine pushes through and can for no apparent reason become strangulated or not. In My case I had a small bulge feeling when coughing,sneezing, bending- squatting down,during bowel movements and when tightening or flexing abdominal muscles.The bulge would just pop- out and retract on it’s own. A qwik popping motion that increased over time with above listed activities.