News Feed Discussions What were the signs you had a recurrence?

• What were the signs you had a recurrence?

Posted by Sean85 on April 2, 2020 at 2:07 pm

I’m a 34 year old male that underwent open mesh repair at UCLA for left and right inguinal hernias in 2016.

I’m having a hard time differentiating normal post-hernia surgery discomfort from the discomfort a recurrence might cause.

Ever since the surgery I’ve experienced mild discomfort at the site of the incisions after working out.

I’ve also noticed over the years that my pubic mound is a little fattier when I’m standing compared to when I’m lying down. It’s not a big difference but there is a difference.

More recently.. in the past 2 months there’s been 3 times where I felt a pinch in the right side of my groin area while getting out of bed.

I went to my GP in 2018 regarding the first 2 issues. He didn’t feel a hernia but perhaps I should’ve gone to my original surgeon.

DrBrown replied 3 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • DrBrown

April 14, 2020 at 12:21 pm

@sean85
    Dear Sean.
    You could have a recurrent hernia, fibrosis around the mesh, nerve entrapment. I advise you to return to the surgeon and ask for his or her advice.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• dh305

April 2, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Ive also noticed my pubic area seems fattier since my surgery (9 months ago)
    The sure way to see a reoccurrence is ultrasound with valsalva from what I understand.