News Feed Discussions Trying to Get A Hernia Diagnosis Trying to Get A Hernia Diagnosis

• Helene

April 20, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Trying to Get A Hernia Diagnosis

My daughter is about 14 months post successful bilateral inguinal hernia laparoscopic surgery. She has been doing Physical Therapy to strengthen her core and break up scar tissue from previous pelvic/abdominal injury as listed earlier in this blog.

She recently started becoming aware of discomfort in the belly button area and could feel a bulge…I could definitely feel it too. She went to her Internist who confirmed by physical exam that she indeed has an umbilical hernia. She now has an appointment with the same surgeon that did her previous surgery…the earliest availability is about 2 weeks. She is fully aware to go to the ER if there is concern of strangulation.

My questions are:
    1) Do I need to try to schedule with a different surgeon in the group if I can get in sooner?
    2) Do you believe there is a connection to her previous inguinal hernias and muscle tear (abdominus rectus muscle)?
    3) Do you believe there could be a connection to PT? (which she has stopped)
    4) I have a mixed connective tissue disease. Do you believe this could be related to a Rheumatological issue – Connective Tissue disorder.

Thank you in advance for your opinion. This blog is truly a wonderful support